Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring confusion

Question Wiring confusion

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can assist here.

So I've wired up my kitchen lights, dining room lights, stairs (3 way) just fine. This particular 2 gang box with 2 switches is confusing me in my upstairs hallway. I know the right switch is part of the stairs (3 way - wish is fine) its the left switch in the picture.

It's wired up as a 3 way switch? But its only a single switch (there is no other switch that controls the lights). It controls 2 recessed lights in the ceiling. My issue is since the screws are same color I'm confused as to what is the common? Usually the common on the switch is darker...

If i take the 2 wires (top and bottom - are they called traveler wires?) and hook it up to the Lutron switch, it gets no power. It seems I have to tie it in with the 2 cables that are twisted in the red cap, also where the cable from the switch is going to.

I tried fiddling with it, and got it to work, but then the bathroom and spare bedroom had no power. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	823

Single pole switches have no common. A 3-way has three terminal, 2 brass, 1 black. A single pole has just 2 brass terminals. You probably just have feed through on the blacks, quick wire and terminal and then the other is your switch leg. A red wired being used doesn’t mean its a 3-way.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

It looks like the extra black wire on the switch is just a pass-through taking power to another switch or outlet. The single black wire on the lower screw terminal is going to the load.

It would be a neater if all of the power leads went to the red wirenut then only the single black jumper from the red wirenut to the top terminal of the switch.

It might make more sense if you think about how the back-stab and crew terminal are connected. You can use either one to connect to the switch. So, those two wires are electrically connected just as they would be if they were in the wirenut.