Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Control Smart Bridge with two iPhones

Control Smart Bridge with two iPhones

How do I set my Smart Bridge so another family member can use it with their iPhone? With only my phone in control, the system can't be controlled without me being there? If it is as simple as having number two logging in with the same account as number one, can both iPhones be logged in at the same time?

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Art743 View Post
    How do I set my Smart Bridge so another family member can use it with their iPhone? With only my phone in control, the system can't be controlled without me being there? If it is as simple as having number two logging in with the same account as number one, can both iPhones be logged in at the same time?
    If multiple people want to connect to the Caseta system, they all need to use the same email address and password.

You can have up to 10 people/devices connected to the bridge at once. (All using the same email address and password.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    You can have up to 10 people/devices connected to the bridge at once. (All using the same email address and password.)
    Thats the first time I've seen this limitation noted. I don't foresee that being a problem for me, but larger families may run up against this limit.

[QUOTE=Brian W.;8375]If multiple people want to connect to the Caseta system, they all need to use the same email address and password. ... QUOTE]

What I'm looking for, and would be helpful for many, so I'm inquiring on whether there is any plan or solution known, is whether there is a "lite" or semi-enabled version of the Lutron App where I coulod have full access, programming and control of the caseta system and Bridge, but have an app on the iphones of family members that allows them to turn already added lights and scenes on/off, but no ability to delete, add, create or otherwise control the bridge and system? Basically, I just want to provide on/off ability to our household members. Ideas?-Solutions?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    [QUOTE=Elmms;9368]
    If multiple people want to connect to the Caseta system, they all need to use the same email address and password. ... QUOTE]

What I'm looking for, and would be helpful for many, so I'm inquiring on whether there is any plan or solution known, is whether there is a "lite" or semi-enabled version of the Lutron App where I coulod have full access, programming and control of the caseta system and Bridge, but have an app on the iphones of family members that allows them to turn already added lights and scenes on/off, but no ability to delete, add, create or otherwise control the bridge and system? Basically, I just want to provide on/off ability to our household members. Ideas?-Solutions?
    I think this is good feedback and I have passed it along to our Caseta development team. In terms on an immediate workaround, if you and your family use iOS products, you could setup HomeKit (Siri) integration and then invite other family members (with unique Apple IDs) to control your home. The other users could then control your lights using Siri voice commands or by using a 3rd party HomeKit app. They could do this without ever installing or logging-in to the Lutron Caseta app.

This is one the points in Apple implamenting HomeKit.

Quote Originally Posted by Art743 View Post

Lutron Technical Support
    Unfortunately, at this time there is no such ability with the app. I will forward your request to our engineers as a possible future feature to the Caseta system.

Brian, I'm not sure why you said this.

While the Lutron app talks with the Lutron servers and the hub, the Lutron app (minus scenes at this point in time) also talks with the HomeKit database on iOS (devices, rooms, zones). HomeKit can then be shared out to other people via iCloud and those respective people's iCloud account. And with any HomeKit app, you can add scenes and they will be shared as well. It is EXACLY what Elmma is looking to do.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no such ability with the app. I will forward your request to our engineers as a possible future feature to the Caseta system.

Quote Originally Posted by Otharcharr View Post
    While the Lutron app talks with the Lutron servers and the hub, the Lutron app (minus scenes at this point in time) also talks with the HomeKit database on iOS (devices, rooms, zones). HomeKit can then be shared out to other people via iCloud and those respective people's iCloud account. And with any HomeKit app, you can add scenes and they will be shared as well. It is EXACLY what Elmma is looking to do.
    How would you limit access in this scenario? As I recall, anyone who has HomeKit access will be able to add/delete/modify scenes.

No... They can only control devices, rooms, zones and scenes. They can not add, delete anything. The additional functionality of HomeKit of Triggers would not be available to them as triggers are automated routines.

Some background info on the Lutron app... it was designed around HomeKit v1 which did not have scenes in the original specs. In HomeKit v2, Apple added the scene capability into the database. Luton however has not updated the app to talk to the new parts of the database. This is why the scenes don't carry over from the Lutron app into HomeKit and visa-versa.

I use the Lutron app to add devices into the system and for pairing of Pico remotes. From there on out, I use the HomeKit app called "Home" (paid). I then have HomeKit shared out to my wife and son. They use the Eve HomeKit app (free). They can control anything they want, but can't make changes to the system setup.

It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    How would you limit access in this scenario? As I recall, anyone who has HomeKit access will be able to add/delete/modify scenes.

11. Likes Zach R. liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast