Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Software to monitor furnace events

Software to monitor furnace events

I understand from Lutron Technical Support that the RA2 Main Repeater stores the most recent 7000 events produced by system activity. I have the seeTemp thermostat to manage the heating in the house. I would be interested in tracking how often the furnace comes on during a 24 hour period (or longer) in order to get a handle on energy usage at different temperature settings.

Is anyone aware of a software application that periodically queries the MR event file, extracts the thermostat events and creates a log or better yet a chart of furnace activity?

Thanks in advance for any insights into a solution.

I've not seen anything in the protocol docs that would lead me to believe there's a way to see past events. You can, of course, monitoring it live either by RS232 or telnet. There are MONITORING levels for a number of activities, HVAC being one. What are you looking to discover/analyze?

I'm just repeating what I was told by a customer service rep about the event history on the MR. As mentioned I am looking for a time and temperature stamped record of furnace function.

It would be interesting info!

Past events are stored, but I haven't investigated how to access. You can pull a log to send to tech support, and in the past they have told me what's going on why an event when fired unexpectedly.

Was there any resolution to this? It would be great to be able to access this, especially via the App. It's odd that they record the info but don't have a function to use the data they generate. Unless it's on the endless list of "to do's'.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    We store the past 7000 events for when we need to investigate events happening for unexplained reasons. I've forwarded your interest in seeing these events to our App Development Team so they can look in to adding this as a future feature. Currently the only way to monitor this is through live monitoring like wkearney99 mentioned earlier, or by creating a support file through the GUI and sending it to SystemSupport@lutron.com and we can analyze it for you.

Mike S - Thanks for considering this suggestion. With energy prices going up it would be useful to be able to use the data stored by RadioRA2 to get a handle on where energy is being consumed in the house. My interests centre on heating but lighting usage would also be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by uhrgenau View Post
    With energy prices going up it would be useful to be able to use the data stored by RadioRA2 to get a handle on where energy is being consumed in the house. My interests centre on heating but lighting usage would also be interesting to see.
    Mike S.- Considering Vive is almost available, what would the possibilities be in adding a Green-Glance like feature to RA2? Maybe within the Connect App? All dependent on the programmer properly inputting the fixture loads correctly, of course.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    I would suggest sending the feature request to us at SystemSupport@lutron.com and I can get it to our System Development Team. This would be a great addition to the Radio Ra2 system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    I would suggest sending the feature request to us at SystemSupport@lutron.com and I can get it to our System Development Team. This would be a great addition to the Radio Ra2 system.
    Request has been emailed!
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols