Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to receive custom command string from 3rd party?

How to receive custom command string from 3rd party?

Hi, I m using QSE-CI-NWK integrate with BnO ML Gateway. Unfortunately the BnO engineer not able to send us Lutron protocol, therefore i replaced QSE-CI-NWK with a HWQS processor.

My question, how can we program to receive custom command string from 3rd party to execute my QS GrafikEye scene1-4 + off?

eg. receive command string '1' to execute QSG scene 1, receive 'off' to execute scene off.

You need to put a 3rd party controls into your program Under equipment tab choose control 3rd party device add that to the proper link fill in the ip info of the device your trying to talk too. Then you can set up what you want to happen when you receive a specific ascii command. Once you have the 3rd party controller in software and setup then goto program tab then under devices scroll to that controller program what you want to happen on the received command

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    You need to put a 3rd party controls into your program Under equipment tab choose control 3rd party device add that to the proper link fill in the ip info of the device your trying to talk too. Then you can set up what you want to happen when you receive a specific ascii command. Once you have the 3rd party controller in software and setup then goto program tab then under devices scroll to that controller program what you want to happen on the received command
    Hi mcignarella,

I done same as what you stated.

1. In Design Equipment tab --> add 3rd party device. Set Ip address: 192.168.1.167
    In Edit command set, choose 3rd party command tab. Add command set named "BnO integration command".
    Add command nickname (Scene01)|Communication direction (To 3rd party)|Command(001)
    Add command nickname (Off)|Communication direction (To 3rd party)|Command(Off)
    Press Done and back to Design Equipment tab.
    Choose Edit Command Set--> "BnO integration command"

2. Under Design LinkAssighment--> Assign to Processor Ethernet.

3. Under Program Devices tab--> Choose 3rd party devices. Edit Scene01 to ON all lighting. Off to OFF all lighting.

4. Save and Transfer.

As I don't have 3rd party device to do testing yet, i using telnet to do this testing. After connected, I sent the command "001" or "Off", it returns "Unknown Command". Where do i get wrong of my these setting?

Any other methods how to do self testing before plug in to real 3rd party device?

Many thanks.

I haven't done more than scan this thread, but it looks like you need to change your communication direction (From 3rd Party)

if I'm reading right, you're using an incoming command from B&O to trigger a HQWS scene. If that is true, then you need to change the direction to "from" instead of "to"

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I haven't done more than scan this thread, but it looks like you need to change your communication direction (From 3rd Party)

if I'm reading right, you're using an incoming command from B&O to trigger a HQWS scene. If that is true, then you need to change the direction to "from" instead of "to"
    Sorry my mistake. It was typo error. In actual program, I had tried From 3rd Party, To 3rd Party, To&From 3rd Party. But the results were same. :(

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by malkev View Post
    Hi, I m using QSE-CI-NWK integrate with BnO ML Gateway. Unfortunately the BnO engineer not able to send us Lutron protocol, therefore i replaced QSE-CI-NWK with a HWQS processor.

My question, how can we program to receive custom command string from 3rd party to execute my QS GrafikEye scene1-4 + off?

eg. receive command string '1' to execute QSG scene 1, receive 'off' to execute scene off.
    Malkev,

Is the Grafik Eye QS a part of a system? Is it activated with the Homework's QS processor? Is it standalone? Furthermore, what is it that you are trying to have talk to the Grafik Eye QS? Are you trying to send a command from HWQS to the Grafik Eye QS? Or from the third party BnO system to the Grafik Eye QS?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey S. View Post
    Malkev,

Is the Grafik Eye QS a part of a system? Is it activated with the Homework's QS processor? Is it standalone? Furthermore, what is it that you are trying to have talk to the Grafik Eye QS? Are you trying to send a command from HWQS to the Grafik Eye QS? Or from the third party BnO system to the Grafik Eye QS?

Hi Corey,

Thanks for your concern. Let me explain why i using this setup before I answer your questions.

We need to control QS GrafikEye using BnO system. It is very straight forward we just need a QSE-CI-Nwk to receive Lutron protocol from BnO. For my case, i need to receive
    #DEVICE,2,70,3 from BnO to call Scene 1.
    #DEVICE,2,83,3 from BnO to call Scene off.

However, after test with BnO, they not able to send me protocol #DEVICE,2,70,3.
    As alternative, we change our setup to QS GrafikEye + HWQS Processor. Because HWQS processor can receiver custom command from 3rd party.
    In brief, I need to receive custom command from 3rd party (BnO) to call my QS GrafikEye's scene.

Is the Grafik Eye QS a part of a system? YES.
    Is it activated with the Homework's QS processor? YES.
    Is it standalone? NO. Without processor, keypad on GrafikEye no function.
    Furthermore, what is it that you are trying to have talk to the Grafik Eye QS? Custom command from BnO. E.g receive "1" from BnO to call GrafikEye Scene1, "Off" to call GrafikEye Scene off.
    Are you trying to send a command from HWQS to the Grafik Eye QS? No. It is from 3rd party BnO to HWQS. Then HWQS call GrafikEye Scene 1.
    Or from the third party BnO system to the Grafik Eye QS? Yes, need to receive custom string from 3rd party to call GrafikEye Scene 1.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by malkev View Post
    Hi Corey,

Thanks for your concern. Let me explain why i using this setup before I answer your questions.

We need to control QS GrafikEye using BnO system. It is very straight forward we just need a QSE-CI-Nwk to receive Lutron protocol from BnO. For my case, i need to receive
    #DEVICE,2,70,3 from BnO to call Scene 1.
    #DEVICE,2,83,3 from BnO to call Scene off.

However, after test with BnO, they not able to send me protocol #DEVICE,2,70,3.
    As alternative, we change our setup to QS GrafikEye + HWQS Processor. Because HWQS processor can receiver custom command from 3rd party.
    In brief, I need to receive custom command from 3rd party (BnO) to call my QS GrafikEye's scene.

Is the Grafik Eye QS a part of a system? YES.
    Is it activated with the Homework's QS processor? YES.
    Is it standalone? NO. Without processor, keypad on GrafikEye no function.
    Furthermore, what is it that you are trying to have talk to the Grafik Eye QS? Custom command from BnO. E.g receive "1" from BnO to call GrafikEye Scene1, "Off" to call GrafikEye Scene off.
    Are you trying to send a command from HWQS to the Grafik Eye QS? No. It is from 3rd party BnO to HWQS. Then HWQS call GrafikEye Scene 1.
    Or from the third party BnO system to the Grafik Eye QS? Yes, need to receive custom string from 3rd party to call GrafikEye Scene 1.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Malkev,

Thanks for the clarification.

So as long as BnO can send custom string commands then you are good to go.
    If you go to Reports -> Integration you can find the Grafik Eye's Integration ID and then the Component ID for Scene 1.
    For example, in my Integration Report my Grafik Eye is ID 7 and Scene 1 is Component ID 98.
    I would need to send the following command to my HQP6-2 processor to trigger Scene 1 from third party:
    #device,7,98,3

Homework's QS is only going to listen to this language.
    We are able to send custom commands in Homework's QS by creating a Third Party Equipment Driver in Design -> Equipment.
    This is used to send custom commands from Homework's QS to another system.

But if you are sending a command from third party to Homework's QS then you need the format in #device,[ID],[Component ID],{action**

Hope this makes sense.

Hi Corey-
    My understanding is the guy is trying to have the QS processor respond to 3rd party strings that are NOT the lutron integration protocol.

He reports that the B&O device cannot send the lutron integration protocol.

I have successfully used QS (7.4) to trigger lighting scenes based on incoming 3rd party strings.

Malkev- I don't have a better solution for testing. I'm not surprised you are seeing "unknown command" from the lutron processor when you are trying these custom strings through telnet.

I would suggest getting all the parts in a room together, and then testing. That's the only way I could get my programming right in my setup.