Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Control Homeworks QS via HAI Omni Pro 2 - QSE-CI-NWK-E Installed

Control Homeworks QS via HAI Omni Pro 2 - QSE-CI-NWK-E Installed

I have a Lutron QSE-CI-NWK-E connected (4 wire lutron bus) to QS Link 1 of Processor 2 on my Homeworks QS system.

I have RS-232 connected between the QSE-CI-NWK-E and the Omni Pro 2.

In the Homeworks QS program i have added the QSE-CI-NWK-E link assigned and activated. No other configuration or programming has been done.

Communication has been verified because we can press a Lutron keypad hard button and send a command to the HAI system.

How do i send commands from HAI to the Lutron system. Be as specific as possible. Pretend i don't know anything about this (because i don't).

Best case would be to have a Phantom keypad in the Homeworks QS program where i could program 10-20 buttons...that i could "press" via sending a command from the HAI system.

Willing to settle for sending all manual (kitchen light on, dining light on, foyer light on etc) commands from HAI...turning lighting loads on or off.

The protocol is documented in this PDF: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/040249.pdf

You'd need to send the appropriate #DEVICE, #OUTPUT or whatever commands as serial strings from the HAI to the QSE. The trick is in taking the IntegrationIDs that are assigned to the devices and using them as part of the serial commands. Unless, of course, there's something on the HAI side that has Lutron support.

I don't have either an HAI nor a QSE but the protocol is pretty much the same across the Lutron line.

We're in the process of integrating a HWQS system with an HAI OmniProII board. I've spoken to tech support at Leviton (HAI), and they said to use the NWK board. In the PC Access software for configuring the HAI, under Expansion > Serial, set the designated serial connection to Radio RA2, the proceed to program the necessary fixtures under Units, using the integration IDs from the Lutron Programming. We've got the NWK board on order, will update again when we get back to programming.

you'll need to upgrade the NWK firmware to homeworks. I set MY HAI port to be 'Pro-Link' and sent messages I defined out of the serial port for #device etc...

Quote Originally Posted by baudfather View Post
    We're in the process of integrating a HWQS system with an HAI OmniProII board. I've spoken to tech support at Leviton (HAI), and they said to use the NWK board. In the PC Access software for configuring the HAI, under Expansion > Serial, set the designated serial connection to Radio RA2, the proceed to program the necessary fixtures under Units, using the integration IDs from the Lutron Programming. We've got the NWK board on order, will update again when we get back to programming.
    Just wondered if you had success with this, and if so did you leave it on Radio RA2, or switch to Homeworks as the serial type? I've tried both but so far without success.

yes,all works fine. you need to set it to prolink. the name of your hai message is the actual #device command(description is ref only). you'll then need to create one message that has ^M^J as the message(<cr><lf>
    when you program your automation blocks, add in the two message straight after each other - i.e send main control message then the cr/lf message. you only need one cr/lf message that get used for everythng
    took a bit of working out, but works a treat

Thanks Duncan,

I'll do some testing with this today. Was hoping it wouldn't just be sending commands by ProLink. I was under the impression that it was more fully integrated. Baudfather, have you had success using the Radio RA2 method HAI support suggested? I'll be giving both a try today.

cheers, Dave

So far we've had success in limited testing (turning on/off, dimming) any of the Lutron loads from the HAI system (also via their Snaplink software), and the load status shows up correctly on the HAI. From the HAI end, the loads are programmed and treated as Radio RA2. The serial connection is set as Radio RA2, and the missing piece for us was needing the HAI 21A05-2 serial PC adaptor WITH a male-to-male null modem adaptor like this one: http://www.linhawstore.com/null-mode...m-adaptor.html (regular gender changer won't work). We're also going to try the serial port/ethernet server as well later down the road (as documented by Lutron), but so far this would appear to be much more "plug-and-play". Be sure to also set the dip switches on the NWK to 9600 baud. Surprisingly easy setup once all this was figured out.