Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RRD-6CL Flashing When Off

RRD-6CL Flashing When Off

I installed some dimmable LEDs that dim just fine, and I bet they aren't on the Lutron list. However the problem is not the dimming, it's that the lights are fairly flashing when the dimmer is switched off. I expected this to stop after a few seconds at the least. Is there a work around? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    I installed some dimmable LEDs that dim just fine, and I bet they aren't on the Lutron list. However the problem is not the dimming, it's that the lights are fairly flashing when the dimmer is switched off. I expected this to stop after a few seconds at the least. Is there a work around? Thanks!
    I found a "work around" by leaving 1 incandescent bulb in the circuit.

Thanks! I bet that might work, but I would think there's got to be some work around beyond that. Anyone else know what Lutron's position is on this? I know the LEDs use just a bit of power, so a low amount of left over current could cause them to blink until dissipated, but it really should stop quicker than it does. Other ideas?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Good Morning, if you email the LED manufacturer and model number to LEDs@lutron.com we can check to see if we've done any testing with the bulbs that you are using. You can also contact the manufacturer and see if they have a recommended dimmer.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Since the dimmers are behaving in this manner, you could also try a neutral based dimmer to see if that resolves the issue. Having you checked to see if we have a recommended dimmer at www.lutron.com/ledtool ? This site will show all our approved LEDs and whats dimmers we can recommend with all of them.

Thanks. These LOHAS LH-LZ-7W-3000k-3D-40 were used without an issue on an 8ANS, but swapped in a 6CL with not the best of luck. We couldn't find any similar bulbs in the tool at least at the time.

I suppose my main question is why when powered-off this occurs since the dimmer shouldn't be sending power to the bulbs. They dim just fine when on, but blink for a while when off. I did send a note just now to LEDs@lutron.com. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    Thanks. These LOHAS LH-LZ-7W-3000k-3D-40 were used without an issue on an 8ANS, but swapped in a 6CL with not the best of luck. We couldn't find any similar bulbs in the tool at least at the time.

I suppose my main question is why when powered-off this occurs since the dimmer shouldn't be sending power to the bulbs. They dim just fine when on, but blink for a while when off. I did send a note just now to LEDs@lutron.com. Thanks!
    If the dimmer doesn't have a neutral wire, then some trace amount of current is going to flow even when switched "off".

Thanks. I'll swap a 6NA in for the 6CL (this home has a bunch from the pre-CL days)