Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engraving, ordering issue

Engraving, ordering issue

I have always filled out the engraving forms to get my engraving done and have never sent the EGR file from the software to accomplish this. I just sent an order to have some keypad buttons engraved using the engraving form/PDF. I received an email reply from an ALR rep, after I submitted my engraving order, saying that I needed to email my EGR file from the project to get my order processed.

This is entirely inconvenient for me and I have never been asked to this in the past. In some or even most cases I just use 6 button with raise lower keypads I can buy off the shelf at my electrical supply house and then decide later what button configurations and colors to use. And even when I order specific keypad button configurations and colors I sometimes change them before engraving to a new button layout. So, If I update the software before I physically install the new engraved keypads I have ordered that don't match the existing keypads in the house I essentially can not make any adjustments to the radio ra system or flash the main repeater without creating conflicts.

Not sure why I would HAVE to submit the EGR file.

Anyone run into this or can anyone suggest a workaround?

You can still submit the old PDF files, just takes longer. Best way- ensure you have the right keypad configuration and type in the software (usually a no brainer) AND the correct color (ask me how I know...). Scan the cards with the serial numbers showing and attach that scan to the email generated from the EGR report. Should take about two weeks. You are spot on about changing the configurations and colors in the software, the back end of all the keypads are identical. The only issue would be if you changed the programming or labeling AFTER sending the EGR file. I always wait until the homeowner is happy at least with the button types and configurations. I ask if they prefer the labels on the the physical keypad or what the iPad/phone is displaying. They've always answered the pad/phone. Then I generate the EGR file.

They may have made the EGR file a requirement, but I haven't seen anything to that effect.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks SDR, I Just got off the phone with ALR. Yes, it is now a requirement and the PDF form is obsolete according to the rep I talked to. They won't process my order unless I email the EGR file.

Again, the one problem with this is that you can't modify or adjust the system file on the main repeater between the time you order the engraved faceplates without potentially causing problems with how the buttons work IF they current button layout is different than what you you are ordering. If you have a 7 button keypad in place and you change it to a 3 button raise lower keypad in the software to generate a an EGR file to get the engraving done and you then update the system several buttons won't work on the 7 button keypad and the raise and lower won't work until you get the new engraved keypads which could take up to 2 weeks. So basically you have to create the new keypad layouts but NOT update the system until you get the new keypads or potentially have functionality problems. I like the EGR file system as it saves time, but this is a a problem for me... or a limitation I should say.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Thanks SDR, I Just got off the phone with ALR. Yes, it is now a requirement and the PDF form is obsolete according to the rep I talked to. They won't process my order unless I email the EGR file.
    ALR is one of the top reps. Have you tried calling Lutron CS directly? Let me know what they say, I am surprised the PDF has been discontinued.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    ALR is one of the top reps. Have you tried calling Lutron CS directly? Let me know what they say, I am surprised the PDF has been discontinued.
    I submitted the engraving forms to engraving@lutron.com and was then subsequently contacted by the ALR rep a day or two later. Not sure why lutron is handing this off to them. I did not call Lutron directly.

Last I checked, not all button styles were available in the RR2 software, and it's a pet peeve of mine that we have to type Fan instead of using the fan symbol in the app. Maybe it was updated in the last couple of builds, but not that I know. As such, I've had to do the PDF for some.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    Last I checked, not all button styles were available in the RR2 software, and it's a pet peeve of mine that we have to type Fan instead of using the fan symbol in the app. Maybe it was updated in the last couple of builds, but not that I know. As such, I've had to do the PDF for some.
    I am using 9.3 and have not noticed any button styles not available. I was told the PDF engraving form method is now obsolete. Not sure how ordering a button style using a PDF instead of emailing a report would help you if you can't even see that button style or program it properly in the software. But as far as I know I can see all of them in 9.3.

I just save the program file that I'm using to submit the button order as "xxx ENGRAVINGS ONLY" and then make sure to use that only for engravings orders, not programming.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I just save the program file that I'm using to submit the button order as "xxx ENGRAVINGS ONLY" and then make sure to use that only for engravings orders, not programming.
    This is what I did too, but still... it creates double work if you do change or work with the original file while waiting for the engravings. Once you get the engraved keypads you either have to redo the adjustments you made to the original file on the "engraving file" or you have to redo the keypad layouts in the old file again if you want to work with that one. The other idea I came up with was just to add keypads with the same name right next to the one that will be replaced in the software with a new button layout but with ENG before the name and then ignore them like a phantom keypad when I update the system, then delete the original ones and reset them and activate them with the new keypad programming when the engravings come. Still, it creates extra work and potentially some confusion for clients when they are using their apps.

If they get the turnaround time to an honest week for the engravings it shouldn't be that big of a deal to hold off working on the system, but my last order took three weeks.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello Everyone, here are the steps to create the new engraving report.

Open up software and find job

Top left hand corner click on- Reports
    A drop down will occur, click on- Engraving

Choose keypads to engrave (check boxes)
    Bottom right hand corner, click on-view report

New window will open

Review PDF report
    Top left hand corner-Save report

Open the report with Adobe, click on the paperclip on the left hand side. Right click on the RA2_Export.egr and choose to save the file
    We need this file to import for production.
    Submit engraving details to – engraving@lutron.com

Systemsupport@lutron.com has screenshots available if you need more assistance.