Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Confused with RadioRA and Chronos

Exclamation Confused with RadioRA and Chronos

I live in a home that was built in 2006 with RadioRA that is completely controlled through a Chronos system. The system functions, but other than automatically turning certain lights on/off based on the time clock I'm not getting much more than I would without it. I understand RadioRA 2 has been out and would allow me to control lights from my phone. Is it possible to get these features on my current system without completely redoing everything?

Any insight would be helpful, thanks in advance!

You would need to add a third party controller such as Elan, Crestron, RTI, URC, and the like. Each of those have mobile applications that would allow for two way communication with the Ra Classic you have.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    You would need to add a third party controller such as Elan, Crestron, RTI, URC, and the like. Each of those have mobile applications that would allow for two way communication with the Ra Classic you have.
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Would these 3rd party controllers hook up to RS232 port on my Chronos?

Yes, through the RS232. You'll need to be close to the Chronos to get the component IDs for the devices. It should display them for you, but I have never had to do this.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Shouldn't this thread be in the Legacy RadioRa forum?

Well, the OP's question in part was if RR2 can be integrated without a complete re-do. I will say that I believe Lutron still has a legacy upgrade program. RR1 has a different system that is incompatible.

wvnovice, if the home isn't absolutely massive, you might consider RR2, especially with the Connect Bridge.

Well, he actually asked if he could get phone control (like RRA2) on his RRA system. But whatever....

Certainly the legacy forum would be better. Don't disagree on that.

I was in a similar situation and didn't want to spend the $$$ to upgrade to the RA2 system; especially the the RA2 is not compatible with RA, which I'm quite happy with. My only desire was to completely control my current legacy RA system, two way, on my smart devices (I have iPhone and iPad). As an electronics 'nerd' I love a good challenge and did some searching. With the help of my son, who is an IT guru, we built an add on system using a few hardware components which works fabulous. In fact it was so good, I decided to bridge my system, using my chronos, so I could get up to 64 devices (switches, dimmers). There were a few software 'bugs' that my son corrected since it was originally placed in service. Since then I have been using my iPhone control for a few months now and is working very nicely. The hardware used: Smart Things Hub, Arduino Controller with shields (one for hub and and a second for serial connections).

Lutron made an Ethernet to RS232 interface for Classic RadioRA. You would need that device plus a RS232 interface. Both are going to be hard to find. Using a browser on your phone, you would have access to the 13 scenes in the RS232 interface. You may be able to use the RS232 interface that is built in to the Chronos. In any event, it is going to be a challenge to program with little to show for it.

The Chronos can be used to bridge 2 Classic RadioRA systems, doubling the capacity to a whopping 64 zones!

The Chronos also has a home/away mode that can turn lights on/off when you are away. It is supposed to make the house look occupied.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com