Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Does Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Work?

How Does Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Work?

I'm trying to understand how the Honeywell WiFi thermostats work with Caseta, and I can't find a lot of info on it. Does someone have a document or experience integrating these? Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    You would first need to set up the thermostat with Honeywell, per their instructions.
    Then you should be able to add it to the Caseta system via "Add a Device" in the Caseta app.
    When you go to add the device, the app will ask you for the username and password you used to registered the thermostat with Honeywell.

3. Thanks schalliol thanked for this post
    Does the bridge communicate with the thermostats locally, or through the web services?

Lutron Technical Support
    It communicates through web services.

To be clear, you're referring to the thermostat sends info to a Honeywell Web server outside the local network, which communicates with the Connect Bridge, which then communicates with the Master Repeater?

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Does the bridge communicate with the thermostats locally, or through the web services?
    Bridge does not communicate with third party thermostats such as Honeywell or Nest. There is no direct integration between Caseta bridge and these thermostats. What you get is the direct control of the thermostat from Caseta app, so it saves you from keeping (and opening) another app when all you want to do is to check on it or make an adjustment. That's all.

I asked some of this here with the idea for RR2, and I know I'm in the Caseta forum. I asked about it here assuming there might be some experience. For the RR2, I understood that the bridge communicates with the thermostat, but maybe not and it's just associated so it works in the app.

For the RR2, thermostat programmed through Essentials/Inclusive is fully integrated with/controlled by RR2 main repeater. I am guessing that when Connect Bridge for HWQS/RR2 is released, it will "inherit" support for additional thermostats from the Caseta, and with the same capabilities - control from the app only, and it won't be possible to program a keypad button or scene to control it.

It would be disappointing and inconsistent with the way RR2 works for the system to support a device in the app but not in the rest of the home's control. Tech support suggested it would be possible, although I know it's early days. I'm not sure why the bridge would be needed at all for such integration if the device is controlled only in the cloud anyway. I thought the point was for the bridge to talk to the main repeater and other devices through the cloud.

I highly recommend if the position stated here is the way it will be for Lutron to reconsider the way the programming will work.

This is sufficiently off RR2 for this thread. Perhaps it could be moved to the RR2 forum. Sorry for choosing the wrong place to put it in.

A lot of the Honeywell stuff gets routed out through their web services (cloud) interface via XML service calls. I'm guessing the bridges don't have the necessary software to handle those kinds of network calls. This is an area where 3rd party integration would be relevant. How do you see a RR2 system making use of this? By using a Pico or buttons on a keypad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast