Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta randomly turns on and off

Caseta randomly turns on and off

I installed 24 Caseta dimmers in my house, Model PD-6WCL-WH. All are attached to Halo recessed LED lights.

Three of the switches randomly turn on and then off, completely on their own, about once per minute. The light turns on then immediately fades to off. All three switches are connected to a single light.

Two of the guilty switches won't connect to the Smart Bridge. I've tried resetting them.

One guilty switch will connect to the Smart Bridge, but turning it off via my phone does not change its behavior -- anytime the switch is off, the light randomly comes about once per minute, then immediately turns off. Interestingly, this switch has another strange behavior: if the switch is off and I turn it to full on, the light flashes on, immediately goes dark (doesn't fade) and then a second later turns on at full brightness.

All three switches are connected to just one light.

How can I fix this? Two of the lights are above my bed and making sleep tough.

Thanks

Lutron Technical Support
    You said that "All three switches are connected to a single light." Do you actually have 3x PD-6WCL connected to the same light, or is it just 1x PD-6WCL connected to the light, and also controlled by 2x Pico remote controls?

Also, what is the model number of the Halo LEDs that are connected to that dimmer? There could possibly be some kind of incompatibility between the dimmer and the LED load.

Poor wording in my part. Each switch which I am having trouble with is connected to exactly one light each, whereas all my well-functioning switches are connected to more than one light. That is, three switches, three troublesome lights.

The lights are Halo RL56 retrofit LED. Unfortunately I don't have a more specific model number at this time.

Lutron Technical Support
    Unfortunately, there aren't any Cooper/Halo LEDs approved for use with the Caseta dimmers.
    See pages 46-50 for LEDs that we've tested and approved for use with the PD-6WCL dimmer: http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf.
    It could be that you would need multiple bulbs on the dimmer to make enough load for the dimmers to work properly.

There are a couple of things you could do, but they're probably not something you want to do:
    1. Change out those bulbs with bulbs from our approved LED list.
    2. Change out those bulbs to incandescent or halogen bulbs.
    3. Below the "Off" button, there is a tab that pulls out (the "FASS"). This tab cuts power to the unit and forces the load off. You could pull out this tab at night to keep the LEDs off.

Thanks Brian. For now I will use the FASS, that is much easier than shutting off the breaker and pulling the switch out of the wall. I'll do that until I figure out a good solution.

I had noticed the Halos are not on the approved list, but unfortunately my contractor insisted on going with the Halos unless they start buzzing (which they don't). The other 20 switches do work fine in the house. Perhaps for these specific instances I will need to use a boring non-Caseta dimmer switch or find a different recessed light to use.