Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LUT-MLC with caseta dimmer

LUT-MLC with caseta dimmer

Will it work? I'd like to stick with filament style led bulbs due to aesthetics but the 8 I have don't seem to pull enough power to work with the dimmer. Swapping in a single incandescent bulb makes everything work smoothly so my hope is the lut-mlc will take on the role of the single incandescent bulb.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by brndn84 View Post
    Will it work? I'd like to stick with filament style led bulbs due to aesthetics but the 8 I have don't seem to pull enough power to work with the dimmer. Swapping in a single incandescent bulb makes everything work smoothly so my hope is the lut-mlc will take on the role of the single incandescent bulb.
    We've never tested the LUT-MLC with our LED dimmers. The capacitance from it could affect the LEDs in unexpected ways. It may work, or it may make the flashing worse. We can't guarantee any results.

My bulbs don't flicker, they just stay lit ask the time. It seems they don't out enough load on the circuit to work.

Quote Originally Posted by brndn84 View Post

Did you ever try it? Did it work? I'm in the same situation.

Just tried it...

...seems to work. The question I'd love to know is, how safe is it?

Some background. I have Feit LEDR56/827 retro-fit LEDs. I used the compatibility tool to find a compatible dimmer. The PD-6WCL is on the list! But it doesn't work :-(

I think the Feit have updated LEDR56/827 to v2. This is just a guess. I have this combination all over the house. This is the only one that flashes.

The switch is correctly installed on a circuit with just one light. The light flashes when the dimmer is turned off. If I leave it for a few seconds the switch will stabilize at a low dimmed state.

So as a test, I fitted an LUT-MLC inside the lighting can — I removed the screw-in bulb fitting and used wire nuts instead. The LUT-MLC is parallel with LED device.

The result seems perfect. No flashing, no buzzing, smoothing dimming almost down to zero.

But is it a safety issue?