Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Problem with Serial Number Addressing and Keypads

Problem with Serial Number Addressing and Keypads

I have two keypads, HRT-6LKP-C and HRT-6LRL-C, both used from different projects. Both worked on their old systems. I followed the factory reset procedure in App note #102: Press and hold buttons 1-3-5 until the LEDs flash, then press and hold 1-5 until all LEDs flash. Both keypads display a different behavior than APP Note #102 indicates; pressing 1-3-5 and holding causes all LEDs to chase downwards twice, then pressing 1-5 and holding causes all the LEDs to do the same (chase down twice). Then, pushing any button once causes the same chasing twice behavior of all the LEDs.

Anyway, neither keypad will respond to the serial number addressing.

Is there perhaps a different way to factory reset these units?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by scholl_r View Post
    I have two keypads, HRT-6LKP-C and HRT-6LRL-C, both used from different projects. Both worked on their old systems. I followed the factory reset procedure in App note #102: Press and hold buttons 1-3-5 until the LEDs flash, then press and hold 1-5 until all LEDs flash. Both keypads display a different behavior than APP Note #102 indicates; pressing 1-3-5 and holding causes all LEDs to chase downwards twice, then pressing 1-5 and holding causes all the LEDs to do the same (chase down twice). Then, pushing any button once causes the same chasing twice behavior of all the LEDs.

Anyway, neither keypad will respond to the serial number addressing.

Is there perhaps a different way to factory reset these units?
    Dear scholl_r,

Thank you for the information.

Are these keypads plugged into power when trying to factory reset?

Chasing downwards is usually any indication of a communication issue to the system.

Thank you so much for a reply. I was running the units on the AA batteries when I tried the factory reset. Just now, before replying, I tried to reset the one of the units again on plugged-in power.

The unit behaved as it did on batteries. That is, when I followed the procedure in App Note 102, the lights chased twice downwards, first when I pressed 1-3-5, and then again pressing 1-5. I also tried the procedure for the more recent production (triple tap any button and hold, then after lights chase, triple tap again). I suspect that the rf part of the keypads are defective.

Unless you have a suggestion, I plan to chuck these units and buy another.

Thanks again for a reply. Aloha from Hawaii ...

I have now bought a third wireless keypad, model HRT-5D2RL, which I was assured worked on it's original system without problems. This one exhibits the exact behavior of the HRT-6LKP-C and the HRT-6LRL-C. That is, when I followed the procedure in App Note 102, the lights chased twice downwards, first when I pressed 1-3-5, and then again pressing 1-5. I also tried the procedure for the more recent production (triple tap any button and hold, then after lights chase, triple tap again). I suspected before that the rf part of the two keypads are defective, but now with a third exhibiting the exact same behavior, I am very suspicious of my own system.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by scholl_r View Post
    I have now bought a third wireless keypad, model HRT-5D2RL, which I was assured worked on it's original system without problems. This one exhibits the exact behavior of the HRT-6LKP-C and the HRT-6LRL-C. That is, when I followed the procedure in App Note 102, the lights chased twice downwards, first when I pressed 1-3-5, and then again pressing 1-5. I also tried the procedure for the more recent production (triple tap any button and hold, then after lights chase, triple tap again). I suspected before that the rf part of the two keypads are defective, but now with a third exhibiting the exact same behavior, I am very suspicious of my own system.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue?
    Scholl_r,

It sounds like we are either having issue factory defaulting the keypads or they already are cleared out of the system.

It may be that you just need to provide a clean upload to the processors in your system. That or remove the serial numbers from Address Assignment and then go through Serial Addressing again to re-link them to the system. I know you explained that you tried Serial Addressing before, but I wanted to make sure you took the step to delete the serial number out before starting it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply; I really appreciate it. I am not completely certain what you mean by a "clean upload", but what I have been doing is using a file which existed before any RF keypads were installed, and adding the keypad into that file. I enter the keypad in the floorplan screen, then add it in the Address Assignment screen. Then click on the "serial addressing" icon. I have tried entering the keypad's serial number so that the system went into auto address mode, and have also tried leaving the serial number out and manually addressing. In the former case I get a message that the keypad "failed to address at 2:8:2:1". In the latter case, at the appropriate point in manual addressing when I am instructed to triple tap any button on the keypad, nothing happens - the system does not receive the serial number from the keypad (or at least does not display it). When I am finished trying (and failing) to get the keypad to address, I return to the original file, make sure there is no keypad entered anywhere, and upload that to the system. I am presuming that is what you mean by a "clean upload". All three keypads exhibit the same behavior. Note that there is a typo in my 3/5 post - the third keypad is a model HRT-5S2RL.
    Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Well, I've solved the problem, although I am not sure what it was in the first place.
    Based on the input from Corey S., I became suspect that there was something wrong with the file I was using as a "base" file. This file was the latest one with the latest modifications, except for the existence of the keypads. Each time I wanted to try to address a keypad I would add it to that file and rename and save it under another name. Then I'd work with that file on the keypads. But once or twice when reloading the "base" file I found a keypad was still there. Not sure how this happened, but to make sure the file itself was not the issue, I took an earlier version yet of the program here and modified it to bring it up to date with the latest mods (less the keypads, of course). Then I saved it under a new name and added the latest (5-button slim) keypad to that. The keypad addressed without problems.
    Then I tried one of the older keypads, doing the same thing - starting with a "clean" version of the software and adding it. Again it addressed perfectly fine.
    The third keypad is, I believe, defective as it does not behave properly during a factory reset.
    So now I have two working keypads, finally, thanks to Corey. Much appreciated!

Scholl_r,

Glad to hear you got it working!
    I'll take the assist for sure :D