Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can the behavior of the on/off switch on a Caseta Diva Dimmer be modified?

Can the behavior of the on/off switch on a Caseta Diva Dimmer be modified?

I'm planning to replace my light switches with Diva Smart Dimmers (DVRF-6L), but first I'm trying to figure out if those switches allow the behavior of the physical switch to be modified? Specifically, is it possible to have the switch not toggle the connected lights when the switch is pressed?

My bedroom has potlights that are controlled by a regular old dumb switch. I also have bedside lamps that have smart bulbs in them.

I want to replace the potlight switch with a smart switch. When the dimmer is set to the maximum setting and I press "ON", I want the potlights to turn on. But if the dimmer is set to a lower setting, I don't want the potlights to turn on at all, I want the bedside lamps to turn on instead, at a brightness determined by the dimmer setting.

I'll be connecting my Lutron hub to Home Assistant, so I shouldn't have any problem controlling the lamps. But I don't know if I can prevent the potlights that are wired to the switch from turning on when the button is pushed.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello belshire, welcome to the Forums. There is no way to modify the physical button presses of a Caseta in-wall device via the Lutron App; they will always control what they are wired to and cannot simultaneously or alternatively control another load in addition to that. Any exceptions to this behavior will have to be explored through 3rd party automation (that is, in this case, through a workaround through Home Assistant possibly). We hope this help!

Got it, thanks for the reply Joy.

To make sure I understand, pushing the toggle button on/off will immediately close/open the 120V switch, and this behavior can't be changed, correct?

If so, then I would instead need to use Home Assistant to send an "off" command back to the switch and an "on" command to the lamps immediately after the switch updates its state to "on". So my ceiling lights would flick on for a second before turning back off. I'll have to see how fast the states get updated to find out how well this works.