Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5ANS Gets Very Warm

PD-5ANS Gets Very Warm

In my workshop I have two PD-5ANS switches and two mechanical switches that were installed by an electrician to control two sets of LED fixtures and ceiling fans in a 3-way installation. One PD-5ANS and one mechanical switch controls 4 LED Fluorescent fixtures (each fixture has 4 LED tubes, no ballast) and two ceiling fans. The 2nd PD-5ANS and 2nd mechanical switch controls 6 LED Fluorescent fixtures (each fixture has 4 LED tubes, no ballast) and three ceiling fans. The fans are powered by connecting them to the LED fixtures. Each fan has its own remote control switch, this allows me to turn the fans on as needed (the lights must be on for the fan to be powered) and when the lights are turned off the fans are automatically turned off. I seem to have two possible issues.
    1. When I place my hand on the wallplate cover coving the two PD-5ANS switches, the cover is very warm.
    2. Last week I was working in the shop and the lights in the 6 fixtures setup had been on several hours, started to flash on and off. The wallplate was very warm. I did not have time to trouble shoot at that time and when I did I could not find any problems. Since that one time the lights have NOT flashed on and off.

Should I be concerned? Looking at the documents I have, I did see that there is a PD-6ANS switch. The PD-5ANS is rated at 5A and the PD-6ANS is rated at 6A. Should I replace the PD-5ANS switches with PD-6ANS switches? I have removed the cover over the PD-5ANS switches (they are in the same outlet box) and noticed that the electrician did NOT remove the outside side section between the two switches as noted in the Caseta documentation. All of the light tubes are LED I DO NOT have any Incandescent or Halogen lights.

Should I replace the mechanical switch with a Pico remote control (PJ2-2B) switch? Or should I replace the PD-5ANS switches with mechanical switches?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello jgt1942 and welcome to the forums!

Could you please calculate your total wattage across the 6 LED fixtures and three ceiling fans so we can ensure this load is within rating?

Also, our electronic switches can reach a maximum temperature rise of 150 degrees F (65 degrees Celsius) room ambient temperature on the front faceplate of the switch. This is not a safety concern.

Please take a look at our "Switch Heat Letter" here: electronic_switch_heat_letter.pdf (lutron.com)