Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Claro install, replacing 3 chained switches

Claro install, replacing 3 chained switches

Hi all, I need your help... I tried my best but new to this and still learning. Thanks in advance.

I have 3 lightswitches (controlling exterior lights), that I want to replace with Diva Smart Switches.
    They were all chained together. Now I struggle installing the new switches with this setup...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3970.jpeg  

Here is another photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3975.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	1159

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Greystone and welcome to the forums!

The reason why these switches are chained together is because they share the same hot. Essentially, one hot wire is feeding this box while the other black wires going to each switch are the load wire (going out to your lights). It may be helpful to use a meter or voltage pen to verify which black wire is feeding the box power. Once this is identified, the black wire off of the Diva Smart Dimmer or Claro Smart Switch will tie into that hot wire.

If you are still running into installation trouble, we strongly recommend reaching out to our support team at 1(888)588-7661.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Greystone, welcome to the Forums. It looks like all three switches are just sharing a power feed; you may absolutely do this with the Claro Smart Switches, as well. You will simply need to attach that hot power feed from the box to the black wires on all three new Caseta switches, then connecting each switch's red wire to its corresponding switch leg wire (the other separate black wire on each switch from the photo). In addition, you will need to uncap the bundle of white wires in the back of the box and attach the white wires from each Caseta switch to that bundle of neutrals, then put the wire cap back on all of these white wires. If none are 3-way applications, the blue wires may be capped off and not used on the new switches. We hope this helps!

Brandon and Joy, thank you both so much. I got them to work with your help! Thank you!!!