Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Telnet to Caséta Smart Hub still possible?

Question Telnet to Caséta Smart Hub still possible?

In my research into HomeBridge and Hoobs I have come across references to being able to telnet into a Caséta Smart Hub. One of the prominent search results of a Google search on the top leads to an old thread in this very Lutron Support Community.

I have since tried telnetting into my Caséta Smart Hub, but all connection attempts time out. Is telnetting into these deprecated? Is this one of the differences between a Caséta Smart Hub and a Caséta Smart Hub Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by DominikHoffmann View Post
    In my research into HomeBridge and Hoobs I have come across references to being able to telnet into a Caséta Smart Hub. One of the prominent search results of a Google search on the top leads to an old thread in this very Lutron Support Community.

I have since tried telnetting into my Caséta Smart Hub, but all connection attempts time out. Is telnetting into these deprecated? Is this one of the differences between a Caséta Smart Hub and a Caséta Smart Hub Pro?
    My understanding is that only the Pro hub supports telnet.

3. Thanks DominikHoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes DominikHoffmann liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
    My understanding is that only the Pro hub supports telnet.
    It is basically twice the cost. What’s the difference, apart from some different firmware inside?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello DominikHoffmann,

As JaxFLBear suggested, telnet is only supported via the Caseta PRO Hub (model L-BDGPRO2-WH). The PRO Hub also allows for a static IP, the ability to add additional Lutron shade families (Sivoia QS Wireless, Palladiom, and Triathlon), and additional integration support (e.g. Control 4, Savant, Crestron). More information can be found here: Professional Smart Home Lighting Products | Caseta by Lutron (casetawireless.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Hello DominikHoffmann,

As JaxFLBear suggested, telnet is only supported via the Caseta PRO Hub (model L-BDGPRO2-WH). The PRO Hub also allows for a static IP, the ability to add additional Lutron shade families (Sivoia QS Wireless, Palladiom, and Triathlon), and additional integration support (e.g. Control 4, Savant, Crestron). More information can be found here: Professional Smart Home Lighting Products | Caseta by Lutron (casetawireless.com)
    Hi Brandon,

Can the Caséta Smart Hub be controlled over the IP network, at all? I would like to use a Pico remote to control an IKEA lighting system (why don’t they have a switch that can be installed in a 1-gang box?). One solution that seemed workable was to use HomeBridge with a Pico module to trigger a HomeKit automation. It does look like it, however, that the Pico plug-in for HomeBridge uses functionality only available in the Caséta Smart Hub Pro.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi DominikHoffmann,

Natively from the Lutron app, telnet would be the only way to support this functionality. However, there are many workarounds, as you stated, involving a HomeKit system and other third-party integrations. Our apologies for the lack of telnet support on the standard Caseta Hub. I'll be happy to forward any feedback regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Natively from the Lutron app, telnet would be the only way to support this functionality. However, there are many workarounds, as you stated, involving a HomeKit system and other third-party integrations. Our apologies for the lack of telnet support on the standard Caseta Hub. I'll be happy to forward any feedback regarding this.
    I don’t think that telnet access, per se, would be most desirable. A published spec on how to communicate with the Caséta Smart Hub from a third party piece of software, whether it is an iOS or Android app, or an applet like a HomeBridge or HomeAssistant plug-in, would be very nice. It would possibly not even require any software updates to the installed base of Caséta Smart Hub.

There is a set of home automation enthusiasts who get excited about doing new and unexpected things with their IoT components. It would be great, if Lutron could actively support them. Thankfully, Lutron does not look like it would take a stance like Mazda or Chamberlain.

Plus, it would aid a community of security testers who would provide their services for free. Let’s never forget, that Stuxnet brought down the Iranian nuclear weapon development (or at least significantly slowed it down) through industrial automation. Home automation is just as much a target of cyber warfare or cyber crime, with potential very nasty consequences. I was almost going to hit “Submit Reply,†when I remembered how the Target customer credit card breach was brought about through compromising the internet-connected controls of the HVAC system at one store.