Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Didn't realize Lutron had it's own wires instead of screws on the side. Help me out?

Didn't realize Lutron had it's own wires instead of screws on the side. Help me out?

I have a bathroom with two lights and a fan. One switch turns on the two lights (one above the sink, one above the toilet). One switch turns on the fan. I removed the light switch to put in the new Lutron switch, and I'm running into trouble. I have the switch connected and it turns on the light over the sink, but I can't figure out now to connect to other light to that switch. The light over the toilet doesn't work now. There was also a wire running between the light switch and the fan switch. I was hoping I could use the red and white wire out of the light switch to function the same way, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can't get my fan to work now either. It's not just a simple replacing of the wires, because there aren't screws on the side of the Lutron to do that with.

Help me with what I'm missing. Otherwise it's probably back to the store to get Legrand with the screws on the side and it should be much more simple.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switches 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	850.6 KB 
ID:	1151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switches 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	1152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switches 3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	763.8 KB 
ID:	1153

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, thank you for reaching out. For your installation, you will need both switches to be tied in to the line-voltage wire coming from your wall. To do this, remove BOTH wires from the bottom screw terminal of the left switch and connect BOTH wires (the wire from the wall and the jumper to the switch on the right) to the black wire from your Diva dimmer. You will then connect the top wire from the switch on the left to the solid red wire from the Diva dimmer. You will cap off the red/white striped wire by itself since this is a single-pole installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth P. View Post
    Hello, thank you for reaching out. For your installation, you will need both switches to be tied in to the line-voltage wire coming from your wall. To do this, remove BOTH wires from the bottom screw terminal of the left switch and connect BOTH wires (the wire from the wall and the jumper to the switch on the right) to the black wire from your Diva dimmer. You will then connect the top wire from the switch on the left to the solid red wire from the Diva dimmer. You will cap off the red/white striped wire by itself since this is a single-pole installation.
    Trying to make sense of this but getting stuck on the 'both' part. There is only one wire running to the bottom of the left switch. I'm gathering that's maybe not good. I'm also gathering that might be where I'm getting stuck because I need two wires to make this work, but there is only one?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, sorry about the confusion. In your original photo of the wall-box wiring, the switch to the left has 2 wires connected to it's bottom terminal: one from the wall and one that is jumping over to the bottom terminal of the switch to the right. Those are the "both" I was referring to.

Figured things out. Thanks for the help. Original wiring only had one wire going to the bottom of the left switch. Found some spare wire and cut an extra jumper. That allowed me to get everything working.

Thanks again.