Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compatible LEDs flashing with Caseta dimmer

Compatible LEDs flashing with Caseta dimmer

I am having a problem with a Caseta in wall light dimmer. The switch has two Utilitech MQTL1017-LED11.5K850 LEDs (listed as compatible by Lutron when at least two bulbs are connected). When I turn the switch on, both of the LEDs flash about every 1.5 seconds. Adjusting the trim levels up or down does not help. I swapped the switch out with a new Caseta switch but the problem persisted. The old conventional switch works fine.

Would the Caseta on/off in-wall switch (which is interestingly more expensive than the dimming switch) work in this setup? Dimming is not essential for these particular bulbs.

Lutron Technical Support
    I would recommend the Caseta PD-6ANS-(color) switch if you are planing to just switch LEDs. This switch does require a connection to the neutral wires in the wall box. If you don't have neutral wires in the wall box, then I'd recommend the PD-5WS-DV-(color) switch. This switch doesn't require a connection to the neutral wires, and because of this it does have a 25w minimum load requirement. In order to assist with this minimum load, we include a minimum load capacitor (LUT-MLC), that would need to be wired in parallel with the lighting load. Since this is going to be switching LEDs, I would highly suggest installing the LUT-MLC anyway.

Do you think the LUT-MLC would work with my existing Caseta dimmer so the LEDs would stop having the flashing problem?

Lutron Technical Support
    We've never tested the LUT-MLC with our LED dimmers. The capacitance from it could affect the LEDs in unexpected ways. It may work, or it may make the flashing worse. We can't guarantee any results.

Quote Originally Posted by rsg123 View Post
    Do you think the LUT-MLC would work with my existing Caseta dimmer so the LEDs would stop having the flashing problem?
    I'm curious as to whether you tried the LUT-MLC with your dimmer. I'm not having a flashing issue with my led bulbs, they just stay on all the time and I'm hoping the LUT-MLC will fix the problem

Quote Originally Posted by brndn84 View Post
    I'm curious as to whether you tried the LUT-MLC with your dimmer. I'm not having a flashing issue with my led bulbs, they just stay on all the time and I'm hoping the LUT-MLC will fix the problem
    Did you ever try it? did it work?