Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: TGCL-153P causes LED flicker due to proximity to a Microwave

TGCL-153P causes LED flicker due to proximity to a Microwave

My 15 year old microwave blew up so I replaced it with a brand new LG.

Now, with the new microwave operating in heating mode, the LED lights controlled by a TGCL-153P flicker dramatically. The microwave is mounted on the opposite side of the same wall with the plastic box holding the dimmer. They are about 9" apart.

When I relocate the microwave using an extension cord plugged into the microwave circuit to a distance of about 3 feet away from the dimmer, the flicker ceases. The lights dim while the microwave is heating, but there's no flicker.

I have second TGCL-153P mounted about 15 feet from the microwave controlling a separate set of LEDs, which is on the same breaker circuit as the misbehaving dimmer. It exhibits no problem when the microwave is heating.

Since the misbehaving dimmer is on a 3-way circuit with a second switch about 10 feet away from the Microwave, I want to swap the positions of the switch and the dimmer. However, the dimmer is wired per Lutron Technical Support Wiring Tool Diagram 368-4493h which shows the light connected to the switch common. I can't find a 3-way circuit diagram where the light is connected to the dimmer.

Does anyone have a schematic that will allow me to swap the dimmer and switch locations in the Lutron tool drawing without opening the wall and pulling another wire?

Thanks

Jimbo

The TGCL-153P dimmer that causes the LED to flicker when it is near the microwave is probably due to electromagnetic interference (EMI). Microwaves can emit EMI, which disrupts the function of the dimmer and causes flickering. To reduce this interference, try relocating the dimmer or microwave, using a different circuit, or adding EMI filters. https://tinyfishing.fun/

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboBigbelly View Post
    Since the misbehaving dimmer is on a 3-way circuit with a second switch about 10 feet away from the Microwave, I want to swap the positions of the switch and the dimmer. However, the dimmer is wired per Lutron Technical Support Wiring Tool Diagram 368-4493h which shows the light connected to the switch common. I can't find a 3-way circuit diagram where the light is connected to the dimmer.

Does anyone have a schematic that will allow me to swap the dimmer and switch locations in the Lutron tool drawing without opening the wall and pulling another wire?
    Hello, thank you for reaching out. Copied below is a simple wiring diagram showing the wiring fon terminals for the Toggler dimmer (labeled as dimmer) and a 3-way switch in either position:

Edit: Alternatively if the photo is not loading, follow the link here for the same diagram: https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369686.pdf#page=5
    Last edited by Kenneth P.; 05-24-2024 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Photo not loading