Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installed Dimmer For Bedroom Light ...now dimmer controls hallway outlet

Installed Dimmer For Bedroom Light ...now dimmer controls hallway outlet

I installed a caseta dimmer in the bedroom to control the bedroom light and it works fine, but my wife noticed the outlet in the hallway was not working. When I turned the dimmer on in the bedroom the outlet in the hallway becomes active. The dimmer has two black wires coming out of it and a green. The box in the wall had two black wires that went to the existing switch but I noticed that one of the black wires was skinned and connected at the skinned portion but the rest of that wire ran off somewhere else. I cut the wire at the skinned section and connected one of the cassette wires with the two pieces of the skinned wire with a plastic wire nut in the light switch box. Anyway, there is a capped white wire in the light switch box. The cassette controls the light perfectly, but for some reason it is also controlling the hallway outlet as well. Please help.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

It sounds like there is a shared hot within the box of the Caseta dimmer that should power that outlet in the hallway. Could you please provide a photo of the available wires inside of the wall box? Also, do you happen to have a photo of how the original switch was wired as well?

I know this wont be much help but calling a certified electrician to safely put your splice back together correctly may be your best answer! I think Brandon is correct though in saying that you may have the hallway outlet on the switch leg of the dimmer. Try this, 1. use a multimeter or what electricians call a ticky tester to find your hot wire or feed 2. Once feed is confirmed the other black should be your switch leg to your bedroom light. Is there (2) black wires attached here? If so move 1 of them to the feed wire. Did your light come on? If so move it back and move the 2nd one to the feed wire. Is your Hallway plug working? If so leave all wires in this configuration and re-check functionality! Hope that helps a bit more than my first statement. I am a journeyman Electrician for reference.