Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What switch to use to create a 3-way

Question What switch to use to create a 3-way

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I joined because I've given up trying to figure things out on my own, I need help! I think it's a combination of my unfamiliarity, too much information in too many places, and too many options. My head is spinning.

I have an exterior garage light with the wired switch inside the garage, no neutral. I would like to install a Pico/Caseta product with a wireless switch at the front door of the house (quite close to the garage), and thus create a 3-way switch (2 switches, 1 light).

What product should I use (if it exists)?

Thank you!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello OliverK and welcome to the forums!

We would be happy to help make this clear for you. Thank you for clarifying that a neutral is not present at this location. With this in mind, we recommend the Caseta PRO PD-5WS-DV Smart Switch. This can wire into a 3-way with an existing switch. Please take a look at the specification sheet here: assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369831_eng.pdf

3-way wiring diagrams can be found on page 7!

Travelers

Thank you Brandon, I appreciate it, super helpful. I have a question about the travelers shown in the wiring diagram. I have a general understanding of what traveler wires do in a conventional 3-way, but in this wireless application and the way they are depicted in the diagram (top of page 8), I really don't understand what they are doing and how I would go about wiring them up. I took a look at the advanced installation guide but it's 138 pages long. Could you give me a brief high level explanation of the purpose of the travelers, what's involved in their installation in a practical sense (again, just brief would be fine), and maybe the relevant pages in the advanced installation guide so I can figure out the details on my own? Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Oliver, are there currently two existing mechanical 3-way switches controlling this light, or just currently one hard-wired switch controlling the light? And we are adding a Pico to turn it into a 3-way?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Switch set up

Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello Oliver, are there currently two existing mechanical 3-way switches controlling this light, or just currently one hard-wired switch controlling the light? And we are adding a Pico to turn it into a 3-way?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!
    Currently there is just a single mechanical switch (controlling a single light) with no neutral. I would like to turn it into a 3-way by adding a Pico.

Thanks,

Oliver

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Oliver, thank you for that clarification! In this case then, since the circuit is currently wired as a single pole and the Pico is only wirelessly making it a 3-way, you may use the single pole wiring diagram below:

Page 6 for the PD-5WS-DV: https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369831_eng.pdf

We hope this helps!

All questions answered, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello Oliver, thank you for that clarification! In this case then, since the circuit is currently wired as a single pole and the Pico is only wirelessly making it a 3-way, you may use the single pole wiring diagram below:

Page 6 for the PD-5WS-DV: https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369831_eng.pdf

We hope this helps!
    Yes, very much so, thank you!