Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Outdoor Lighting w Magnetic Transformer Compatible w Caseta Dimmer?

Outdoor Lighting w Magnetic Transformer Compatible w Caseta Dimmer?

Just bought the Lutron Caseta Deluxe Smart Dimmer Switch (2 Count) Kit with Caseta Smart Hub | P-BDG-PKG2W-A and 2 Lutron PD-15OUT-BL outdoor plugs. However, now I am not sure they are compatible with the transformer for my low voltage path lights. The magnetic transformer is described this way: VOLTAGE: Transformer Type - Stepdown, low voltage, isolated secondary. Primary voltage - 120 or 277 VAC . Secondary voltage - 12 VAC . Frequency - 60Hz. DIMMING: Magnetic Low Voltage (MLV), Symmetric Forward Phase Control.

Is my Lutron Caseta dimmer and outdoor plugs compatible with this transformer?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Johanna, welcome to the Forums. Although the PD-15OUT outdoor plug will be rated for this transformer-controlled load, since it is just an on and off control, unfortunately the dimmers included in this kit (dimmer model PD-6WCL) are not rated for MLV dimming to control magnetic transformers. We do not recommend using a non-MLV dimmer on an MLV load, to protect the longevity of the dimmer and transformer and to prevent performance issues. The best Caseta dimmer to use for magnetic low voltage loads is model PD-10NXD. This device requires a neutral wire connection for MLV loads and will look the same as the current dimmer:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369919_WEB.pdf

We hope this helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello Johanna, welcome to the Forums. Although the PD-15OUT outdoor plug will be rated for this transformer-controlled load, since it is just an on and off control, unfortunately the dimmers included in this kit (dimmer model PD-6WCL) are not rated for MLV dimming to control magnetic transformers. We do not recommend using a non-MLV dimmer on an MLV load, to protect the longevity of the dimmer and transformer and to prevent performance issues. The best Caseta dimmer to use for magnetic low voltage loads is model PD-10NXD. This device requires a neutral wire connection for MLV loads and will look the same as the current dimmer:

www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/369919_WEB.pdf

We hope this helps!

I really appreciate this information, Joy. Since these are outdoor path lights that do not have "screw-in" LEDs I think it might be better with just the outdoor plug and no dimming.