Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lutron, Sonos and Unifi

Lutron, Sonos and Unifi

Hello all,

I had installed an RR2 system for a small business about 4 years ago. At the time the system had a Sonos Connect and I was able to use an Audio Pico for control as well as set it to work with a few scenes.

The business recently expanded and built out another floor adding a Sonos Port for a second zone of audio. In addition to the new Sonos Port the network was also upgraded with new UniFi equipment.

A UDM Pro replaced a failed Edge4 Router. A 24 port UniFi switch (non-PoE) and several U6+ AP's were added as well. The switch on the UDM Pro is not being utilized being it does not support RTSP so all hardwired ethernet goes to the 24 port switch and the AP's are all connected to a 16 Port UniFi PoE switch.

For their building expansion, I added about 40 more RR2 Pro dimmers and an 8ANS. The additonal devices were added and activated prior to the netowork upgrade along with some basic programming for simple functionality. All was working well and I had no issues or failures when doing so.

Post the network upgrade I could not establish a reliable connection to the Main-Rep unless it was disconnected from the network and I made a direct ethernet connection to it from my laptop.

However one problem would be that upon doing so it would deactivate the bridge and require me to activate it again in order to transfer which was not possible being I was not on a network switch. When trying to connect through the network I noticed that the Main-Rep would soon after begin flashing alternating red leds which after a call to tech support indicated it was in a Telnet Lockout mode. This would go away once I removed the Main-Rep from the network or upon creating a VLAN for the Lutron RR2 system.

With the RR2 system now moved to its own VLAN and the Telnet lockout issue resolved, I stumbled onto my next issue. I lost the ability to control the Sonos through Lutron since they are no longer on the same network. I am not able to move the Sonos to the Lutron VLAN as Sonos needs to be on the same network as its users due to the way Sonos implements its networking requirements.

I could look to create a Firewall Rule that would allow for the employee network with Sonos to talk to the Lutron VLAN but my fear in doing so is that I would be allowing the Telnet Lockout issue to re-appear and thus nullify the reason for putting the Lutron into its own VLAN to begin with.

I know from reading various other posts/threads that other people have had issues but that seemed to be because they had created multiple VLANS and placed Sonos into an IoT VLAN which could not communicate to the main network. Although similar, the setup I am dealing with is a bit different and am not sure how to go about resolving this due to the Telnet Lockout.

I am not sure if the Telnet Lockout is being caused by the UniFi equipment or another device that is active on the network that the Main-Rep thinks is trying to access it and then goes into lockout. Although RR2 seems to function while in the Telnet Lockout mode and mainly be an issue with trying to transfer I am not comfortable leaving it in this constant state.

Has anyone had any similar issues that you were abl e to resolve? Is there a way to identify the possible source of the Telnet data on the network so I could possibly look to isolate that device and then re-combine the employee, Sonos and Lutron networks?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by GLDCSTAV View Post
    Hello all,

I had installed an RR2 system for a small business about 4 years ago. At the time the system had a Sonos Connect and I was able to use an Audio Pico for control as well as set it to work with a few scenes.

The business recently expanded and built out another floor adding a Sonos Port for a second zone of audio. In addition to the new Sonos Port the network was also upgraded with new UniFi equipment.

A UDM Pro replaced a failed Edge4 Router. A 24 port UniFi switch (non-PoE) and several U6+ AP's were added as well. The switch on the UDM Pro is not being utilized being it does not support RTSP so all hardwired ethernet goes to the 24 port switch and the AP's are all connected to a 16 Port UniFi PoE switch.

For their building expansion, I added about 40 more RR2 Pro dimmers and an 8ANS. The additonal devices were added and activated prior to the netowork upgrade along with some basic programming for simple functionality. All was working well and I had no issues or failures when doing so.

Post the network upgrade I could not establish a reliable connection to the Main-Rep unless it was disconnected from the network and I made a direct ethernet connection to it from my laptop.

However one problem would be that upon doing so it would deactivate the bridge and require me to activate it again in order to transfer which was not possible being I was not on a network switch. When trying to connect through the network I noticed that the Main-Rep would soon after begin flashing alternating red leds which after a call to tech support indicated it was in a Telnet Lockout mode. This would go away once I removed the Main-Rep from the network or upon creating a VLAN for the Lutron RR2 system.

With the RR2 system now moved to its own VLAN and the Telnet lockout issue resolved, I stumbled onto my next issue. I lost the ability to control the Sonos through Lutron since they are no longer on the same network. I am not able to move the Sonos to the Lutron VLAN as Sonos needs to be on the same network as its users due to the way Sonos implements its networking requirements.

I could look to create a Firewall Rule that would allow for the employee network with Sonos to talk to the Lutron VLAN but my fear in doing so is that I would be allowing the Telnet Lockout issue to re-appear and thus nullify the reason for putting the Lutron into its own VLAN to begin with.

I know from reading various other posts/threads that other people have had issues but that seemed to be because they had created multiple VLANS and placed Sonos into an IoT VLAN which could not communicate to the main network. Although similar, the setup I am dealing with is a bit different and am not sure how to go about resolving this due to the Telnet Lockout.

I am not sure if the Telnet Lockout is being caused by the UniFi equipment or another device that is active on the network that the Main-Rep thinks is trying to access it and then goes into lockout. Although RR2 seems to function while in the Telnet Lockout mode and mainly be an issue with trying to transfer I am not comfortable leaving it in this constant state.

Has anyone had any similar issues that you were abl e to resolve? Is there a way to identify the possible source of the Telnet data on the network so I could possibly look to isolate that device and then re-combine the employee, Sonos and Lutron networks?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.
    I found similar issues with the new Verizon Modem/Router. I attach a dumb switch/hub to the router and connect all of the RA2 components to that. (Repeater, Computer and Connect Bridge). It works.