Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Caseta In-wall dimmer pairing with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor?

Can Caseta In-wall dimmer pairing with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor?

Can Caseta In-wall dimmer pairing with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor? I did not get a clear answer after I read some documents and googled. One spec said PD-6WCL can be paired with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...mer%20Spec.pdf). On the other hand, Lutron said Caseta does not support any Motion Sensor.

If I don't pair the in-wall dimmer switch (PD-6WCL) to the smart bridge, can I pairing it with 2 Powr Savr Motion Sensors and 1 PICO remote together?

I need to find a solution for my stairs and I don't want to use Maestro switch if possible.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Yes, as long as you don't pair the dimmer to a Smart Bridge, you can achieve what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    Yes, as long as you don't pair the dimmer to a Smart Bridge, you can achieve what you are looking for.
    Thanks. It's working beautifully and exactly what I wanted. I like the fade out effect when the sensor turn off the light. I just wish it can connect to the smart bridge in the future.
    Now I have to repeat the same task for the remaining stairs.

Just to be certain... would the following work.

1 Lutron PD-5WS-DV-WH as the main in wall switch
    2 Lutron LRF2-OCR2B-P-WH Radio Powr Savr Wireless
    1 Lutron PJ2-2B-GWH-L01 Pico On/Off Remote Control

1 Radio Powr Savr Wireless at the bottom of the stairs the second at the top of the stairs. So the light turns on when you enter from either end.

• If the light is physically activated using either switch will the light automatically be turned off once no motion is detected?
    • If someone physically turns off the light using either switch will it be turned on if motion is detected?
    • Do you think it would be possible to use only one Radio Powr Savr Wireless to cover the entire hall? It's about 10 feet 20 steps.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by edoriv View Post
    Just to be certain... would the following work.

1 Lutron PD-5WS-DV-WH as the main in wall switch
    2 Lutron LRF2-OCR2B-P-WH Radio Powr Savr Wireless
    1 Lutron PJ2-2B-GWH-L01 Pico On/Off Remote Control

1 Radio Powr Savr Wireless at the bottom of the stairs the second at the top of the stairs. So the light turns on when you enter from either end.

• If the light is physically activated using either switch will the light automatically be turned off once no motion is detected?
    • If someone physically turns off the light using either switch will it be turned on if motion is detected?
    • Do you think it would be possible to use only one Radio Powr Savr Wireless to cover the entire hall? It's about 10 feet 20 steps.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    Edoriv, that combinations of countrols will work correctly the way you described it.

To answer your questions:
    1. If the sensor doesn't see you in the area, it will have never sent the 'occupied' signal. It won't send the 'unoccupied' signal if it never first sends the 'occupied' signal. So, if someone is able to turn the lights off from the switch or the remote without the sensor seeing them, the sensor won't turn the lights off. This is where proper sensor placement becomes important.
    2. Yes.
    3. The sensors are meant for a maximum height of 12 foot ceilings. It may work with only one sensor, or it may not. You would have to mount the sensor at the top of the stairs and put it in test mode to see if it 'sees' you at the bottom of the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by davidchanty View Post
    Can Caseta In-wall dimmer pairing with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor? I did not get a clear answer after I read some documents and googled. One spec said PD-6WCL can be paired with Radio Powr Savr Motion Sensor (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...mer%20Spec.pdf). On the other hand, Lutron said Caseta does not support any Motion Sensor.

If I don't pair the in-wall dimmer switch (PD-6WCL) to the smart bridge, can I pairing it with 2 Powr Savr Motion Sensors and 1 PICO remote together?

I need to find a solution for my stairs and I don't want to use Maestro switch if possible.

A Caseta Dimmer and Switch operates exactly the same as a wireless Maestro, so you can pair these devices. However, if you add that dimmer or switch to the bridge, then it will lose the functionality that you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by david.masessa View Post
    A Caseta Dimmer and Switch operates exactly the same as a wireless Maestro, so you can pair these devices. However, if you add that dimmer or switch to the bridge, then it will lose the functionality that you desire.

Which is DUMB!!!! We why diversify your products, why not just make them all compatible with smart bridge pro??? Homekit Fan control, homekit dimmer control, paired with a motion sensing switch... Genius!

I agree completely. Something as simple as occ sensor programming, status reporting and pairing of devices should be in the software. Additionally, if it is the case where the bump to Ra2 is required, Caseta devices should be compatible. Reason for this is a tad more complicated then 'I just want it.'

I've seen a number of design/build firms installing Caseta devices in spec homes without smartbridges. 'Smarthome-Ready' is the name of the game. In most applications this is great and it works well. In others, a lack of an aux repeater kind of breaks the system. Radiant floor heat cuts down signal strength tremendously and in multilevel applications, some rooms are unreachable. It'd be nice to offer an option to simply add in a Ra2 Main Repeater with a Connect Bridge and an aux and call it a day vs. ripping everything out and starting from scratch if there is already installed product.

They can leave Homeworks alone. Homeworks is really for those crazy large projects for the 1%. I just think that if Lutron allowed for cross compatibility and functionality of all of its devices, it would become more of a household name and really would penetrate that mass market.

There are other systems out there that allow for greater functionality at lower price points.. But the wireless and dimming technology isn't quite up to snuff with what the alien engineers at Lutron have come up with.

9. Likes Blurum liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by david.masessa View Post
    I agree completely. Something as simple as occ sensor programming, status reporting and pairing of devices should be in the software. Additionally, if it is the case where the bump to Ra2 is required, Caseta devices should be compatible. Reason for this is a tad more complicated then 'I just want it.'

I've seen a number of design/build firms installing Caseta devices in spec homes without smartbridges. 'Smarthome-Ready' is the name of the game. In most applications this is great and it works well. In others, a lack of an aux repeater kind of breaks the system. Radiant floor heat cuts down signal strength tremendously and in multilevel applications, some rooms are unreachable. It'd be nice to offer an option to simply add in a Ra2 Main Repeater with a Connect Bridge and an aux and call it a day vs. ripping everything out and starting from scratch if there is already installed product.

They can leave Homeworks alone. Homeworks is really for those crazy large projects for the 1%. I just think that if Lutron allowed for cross compatibility and functionality of all of its devices, it would become more of a household name and really would penetrate that mass market.

There are other systems out there that allow for greater functionality at lower price points.. But the wireless and dimming technology isn't quite up to snuff with what the alien engineers at Lutron have come up with.
    Yes yes yes!!!

Lutron needs to pay more attention to these boards and their sales. I suspect they already are.
    looks like Caseta has become an unexpected hit for them , same as Echo was for Amazon.
    the affordability brings in a whole segment of DIY folks. Home works and radiora are for folks with "discretionary" income.
    i have an older radiora setup just in the kitchen as it was too costly to expand but palatable enough for a remodel.

another board member mentioned should they make a bigger profit out of a few thousand radiora or smaller profit but over millions of Caseta installs.
    i have done the rest of my house with Caseta for less than what I paid for my kitchen and one room radiora1 install.
    i would not not even dream of shelling out for radiora prices these days. I guess I am that 95% of the population.
    Regardless, I am a huge Lutron fan and realize the nature of smart technology will necessitate infra and app overhauls every few years. But please give us the added functionality within those short life cycles. Caseta with radiora functionality please :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast