Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HW Illumination Driveway sensor

HW Illumination Driveway sensor

We received this question from a customer, and thought others might be interested in this topic...

How would I program the lights to come on outside the house when the homeowner drives up the driveway? I have two sensors for the driveway...one is near the gate, and the other is halfway up the drive. If the owner is driving away, I don't want the lights to come on, but if they are coming home, the lights have to come on and stay on for 5 minutes before going off.

Oh, and this should only happen at night, of course.

Authorized Lutron Contributor

RE: HW Illumination Driveway sensor

Very carefully!

My Guess is attached.

Used the onboard CCIs. CCI 1 is the gate sensor, CCI 2 is the halfway sensor.

The only problem I found was going the reverse route. Depending on how long the driveway is. I have the gate variable set on a 5 minute delay so it will reset after the exit. The other problem is if multiple cars are leaving then it could trigger the lights.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by KPhillips
    My Guess is attached.

Used the onboard CCIs. CCI 1 is the gate sensor, CCI 2 is the halfway sensor.

The only problem I found was going the reverse route. Depending on how long the driveway is. I have the gate variable set on a 5 minute delay so it will reset after the exit. The other problem is if multiple cars are leaving then it could trigger the lights.
    While this will turn the lights on when I reach the second sensor if there away to have the lights come on as soon as I drive over the sensor at the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by cwagner
    While this will turn the lights on when I reach the second sensor if there away to have the lights come on as soon as I drive over the sensor at the gate?
    That would be a much much easier task to accomplish and would solve the problem I had with the reverse route on the driveway.

I would just have to check to see if the second sensor is triggered when I p*** the gate sensor.
    [hr]
    CCI 1 is the gate sensor and CCI 2 is the mid-way sensor.

Once the gate sensor is triggered it will check to see if the mid-way sensor was triggered first. If the mid-way sensor was not triggered in the last five minutes then it will turn the lights on for five minutes.
    [hr]
    Changed the file a tad to try and clear up some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bspencer
    How would I program the lights to come on outside the house when the homeowner drives up the driveway? I have two sensors for the driveway...one is near the gate, and the other is halfway up the drive. If the owner is driving away, I don't want the lights to come on, but if they are coming home, the lights have to come on and stay on for 5 minutes before going off.

Oh, and this should only happen at night, of course.
    Attached is a sample file where the lights will turn on as soon you driver over the gate sensor.

There is an automatic sequence called "Driveway sensor". This sequences set the "driveway sensor closed" variable to true for 10 seconds and then sets the variable to false. This time should be set to amount of time it will typically take to get from 1 sensor to the other.

There is an automatic sequence called "Turn light on of 5 minutes". This sequence turns the lights on for 5 minutes and then turns them off.

In the driveway input it is conditional. There is one preset that starts the "Driveway sensor" automatic sequence. On the close tab there is an If Else statement. If the "gate sensor closed" variable is false it execute the preset.

On the gate input it is also a conditional. Preset 1 stats the "Turn light on of 5 minutes" automatic sequence and sets the "gate sensor closed" variable to true. Preset 2 sets the "gate sensor closed" variable to false with a 10 second delay. This delay time should be set to amount of time it will typically take to get from 1 sensor to the other. On the close table there is a If Else statement the checks the "time of day" state variable. If it is night then there is nested If Else statement that looks at the "Driveway sensor closed" variable. If the variable is false is executes the preset to start the "Turn light on of 5 minutes" automatic sequence. On the open tab there is an always statement that execute preset 2.

You could buy a sensor that actually can determine direction if the situation allowed for it

http://www51.honeywell.com/aero/comm...MR_Sensors.pdf