Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lights flicker when moving dimmer slider

Lights flicker when moving dimmer slider

I'm a homeowner and DIY electrician (not licensed—purely amateur and self-taught). Last weekend, I installed new overhead lighting in my living room. At Home Depot, I bought a set of four Commercial Electric slim LED color changing recessed lights, model 92086. I also bought a pair of LUTRON LED+ Toggler Dimmer switches, model TGCL-153PH. I installed the lights in a 3-way setup. The lights clearly say they are dimmable, and the switches are made to work with LED lighting.

Problem: The lights come on and burn steadily until I start moving the dimmer slider. That's when they start flickering, and the flickering alarms a member of my household. ("Are these lights gonna set the house on fire?") I'm new at this. I see instructions for adjusting the dimming range with that little blue button, but will the little blue button help me fix the flickering problem? Do I have a compatibility issue between the LED lights and my switches?

After I started this thread, I kept searching Lutron's support page and found this little nugget: "This is called a 3-way application. In a 3-way, you can only install a dimmer in one of the locations and the remaining locations must be switches." I've installed dimmers at both locations—is that my problem? If I replace one of the dimmers with a simple 3-way switch, the flickering will (or might) go away ... ?

UPDATE: Problem solved. In the small print on the instruction sheet, I read that a circuit can have just one dimmer. I swapped out dimmer #2 for a plain–vanilla 3–way switch and the flickering stopped.

Lesson learned.