Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Lutron isn't taking the 'iot' competition seriously

Lutron isn't taking the 'iot' competition seriously

First post,
    So first off, hi!

I have been driven to these forums under a personal duress. See, I am a frequenter of /r/homeautomation and I CONSTANTLY am recommending Caseta Products to people. There is no doubt, Lutron makes an excellent product and the Caseta line is no exception. But lets face it, Lutron is not taking the competition seriously... at all. For instance, I would GLADLY give Lutron my money for a Smart Bridge Pro. Of course, I would be LOSING functionality from my 50 dollar Wink Hub. Seriously? Lutron, lets talk. I can buy a Lutron connected home remote and properly control whole home scenes on my Wink. Something that cant be done with your own product? The Amazon echo is a GAME CHANGER in HA, even for the big dogs. Lutron should have had native echo support months ago. Is it even coming? Is it even a blip on the radar? While we are at it, obviously the Smart Bridge Pro can't control z-wave, zigbee, bluetooth... Why not have some sort of API so that other consumer/prosumer hubs can hook into your system.

I know this sounds like a rant, I can't help it, there is so much potential in this excellent product. I know they don't want to cannibalize their own radiora2 and graphik eye stuff, but this isn't loosing those customers... This is loosing the DIY crowd every day, a crowd that your professional lineup can only dream of having the potential volume of.

I can only hope Lutron turns this system into what it deserves to be, the best.

2. Likes wkearney99, Jeffnrivercity, vqvqv liked this post
    In response to my own thread, as an update. I have a Vera Plus ordered due to their being a recent release of a Caseta Plug-In. I will be running Vera Plus as primary controller, which will communicate with Smart Bridge Pro via Tel-Net. I am running Hue-HA-Bridge on a Raspberry Pi2, which will be presenting my Vera lights as Hue lamps to the Amazon Echo. I hope this all works well, and I also hope Lutron doesn't do anything to specifically break functionality since Vera isn't an offical 3rd-Party. Lutron is getting their money through the Caseta products and the purchase of the pro bridge, I can't see why that wouldn't be a win win.

traCkready can you elaborate on system(s) you are using to control the wink? I have been playing around with elan g and urc total control and have yet to incorporate the wink into the system? Not sure of its possibilities. Thank you