Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Added second Smart Bridge

Added second Smart Bridge

I have a house full of Caseta light switches which work perfectly, and tried to add 2 outdoor casita plug-in switches to a separate building in the backyard. The building has a wifi antenna, and other wifi products work, but when I purchased the Caseta switches, they wouldn't connect. I figured I needed to add a second bridge, which I did by adding it via the Apple Home app. It is wired into the wifi antenna ethernet port, and it added no problem. My first Caseta outdoor switch installed using the Lutron App no problem, but the second one couldn't be added. I tried resetting the switch manually, to no success. Now I'm finding the first switch works, but only some of the time. I'm wondering if perhaps it connected to my home bridge (in the main building) when I installed it, rather than the new one, which is about a foot away. Is there any way to tell which bridge it is connecting to?

Thanks

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Jmac24 and welcome to the forums!

We are sorry to hear about these communication troubles. Please note that these PD-15OUT-BL Outdoor Plugs should be within 30 feet of that Caseta Hub in the separate building. It may be beneficial to add a dedicated Repeater model PD-REP-WH or a Plug-In Dimmer model PD-3PCL for maximum coverage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeaterandPID.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1122

The first Outdoor Smart Plug should only be added to the second Hub (devices are unable to "crosstalk" between Hubs). However, the name of the Caseta Hub that it is paired to can be found at the top of the Lutron app. If necessary, you may factory reset the device to pull it off of the Caseta Hub:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outdoorplug reset.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	1121
    Last edited by Brandon W.; 02-21-2024 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks for the response. I ended up deleting the 2nd Hub/Bridge in the pool house, and added it using the Lutron App (rather than the home app as before). The good news is that on the Lutron app I can now see my house (as the first “home”) and my Pool area (as the second home) in the Lutron app, and everything is working on the app. The problem is that now the Home app doesn’t see anything and I get an error in the Lutron app when I try to add the HomeKit app as an Integration for for either “Home”. How do I reset this so the Home App sees both Lutron “Homes”? Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Jmac24, we would recommend starting by performing a HomeKit reset on the Caseta hub; this will not affect Lutron App programming and should allow you to re-integrate HomeKit with your Lutron hubs:

HomeKit reset:
    Please try a 40-second network reset on the Lutron hub. To do this properly, press and hold the black button on the back of the hub for 40 seconds, using a stop watch to time this process. If it is less than 40 seconds or more than 45 seconds, the HomeKit refresh will not go through. You will see the hub flash after 20 seconds of holding; keep holding. After it starts flashing the second set of flashes, immediately let go; this will occur at the 40-second mark.

You may want to do this on both hubs, and then individually go into each Home on the Lutron App and integrate HomeKit from each Home, and then they will be merged in the Home App.

We hope this helps!
    Last edited by Joy L.; 02-21-2024 at 09:37 AM.

So I reset the Lutron Hub in the main house. It worked exactly as you described. After doing this, I still couldn't do anything with my Lutron devices in HomeKit, so I then added the (now reset) Lutron Hub directly to HomeKit. This process worked, although I then had to go around to EVERY Lutron devices to confirm location and name. With that finally completed, I still can't use any of the Lutron devices in HomeKit. All of my Lutron devices show up in HomeKit as "No Response" even though they work fine in the Lutron App. Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Jmac24,

Are there any devices acting as the Apple Home Hub (AppleTV, HomePods, etc.)? If so, please identify the IP address that this is running on. We would like to understand your network topology as well, please provide a quick overview with model numbers (e.g. Verizon Fios Modem > Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router > Netgear ‎GS108 unmanaged network switch > Caseta Hub).