Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: After power outage - HUB syncing time

After power outage - HUB syncing time

After an power outage the Caseta Hub doesn't sync time. I fix this issue by rebooting it (powering off/on) and it acquires the real time. My guess is that when the power comes back on, it boots up faster than my router and modem. Thus it must "give up". I can still communicate via the app. My question - is there any way to reboot the Hub remotely via the app. My concern is if I have power outage while I'm away.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Sheldon, welcome to the Forums!

We're sorry to hear about this issue you're encountering. Before looking deeper into this problem, we would recommend unplugging the Caseta hub from its ethernet connection to your network, and then perform a power cycle of all network equipment (modem, router, port switch, etc.) and allow those components to boot back up before plugging the Caseta hub back into the internet. Then, we may even suggest if you didn't want to wait for another power outage, cycle the breaker that is connected to the Lutron hub and your internet equipment to simulate the effect and see if the behavior persists. You can also check if time and location are set correct per your system settings, by going to Settings in the App, clicking on Advanced and then Time & Location.

If it does persist, we would then recommend sending us support logs so we can investigate it as a possible networking discrepancy, as this loss of accurate time usually is caused by the hub not communicating properly to the server we use to gather accurate time and location for the system. In order to get the support logs that we need, please follow the steps below:

- Make sure your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Caséta hub.
    - In the Lutron App, go to Settings > Help > Submit Support Logs.
    - Complete the section asking what type of issue you are having and provide as much detail as possible including the name of the devices/schedules/other problem areas as displayed in the Lutron App.
    - Lastly, select "Send Support Request Email."

Also in this email, please include a rundown of your network configuration with model numbers (e.g. Verizon Fios Modem > Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router > Netgear ‎GS108 unmanaged network switch > Caseta Hub).

Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello Sheldon, welcome to the Forums!

We're sorry to hear about this issue you're encountering. Before looking deeper into this problem, we would recommend unplugging the Caseta hub from its ethernet connection to your network, and then perform a power cycle of all network equipment (modem, router, port switch, etc.) and allow those components to boot back up before plugging the Caseta hub back into the internet. Then, we may even suggest if you didn't want to wait for another power outage, cycle the breaker that is connected to the Lutron hub and your internet equipment to simulate the effect and see if the behavior persists. You can also check if time and location are set correct per your system settings, by going to Settings in the App, clicking on Advanced and then Time & Location.

If it does persist, we would then recommend sending us support logs so we can investigate it as a possible networking discrepancy, as this loss of accurate time usually is caused by the hub not communicating properly to the server we use to gather accurate time and location for the system. In order to get the support logs that we need, please follow the steps below:

- Make sure your smartphone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Caséta hub.
    - In the Lutron App, go to Settings > Help > Submit Support Logs.
    - Complete the section asking what type of issue you are having and provide as much detail as possible including the name of the devices/schedules/other problem areas as displayed in the Lutron App.
    - Lastly, select "Send Support Request Email."

Also in this email, please include a rundown of your network configuration with model numbers (e.g. Verizon Fios Modem > Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router > Netgear ‎GS108 unmanaged network switch > Caseta Hub).

You really didn't answer my question. Is there a way to reboot the HUB via the app? The issue is when power returns after a power outage the Hub doesn't time sync with the router/modem. I fix it by rebooting (unplug/replug power). I guess the HUB gives up waiting for the router/modem to come online.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Sheldon,

No, there is not a way to remotely reboot the Caseta Hub. The Caseta Hub will boot up much faster than the networking equipment. This can sometimes create the need for another reboot because the Hub was not assigned an IP in time by the network. If you are utilizing any network switches, please try plugging the Caseta Hub directly into the router to see if this issue persists.

As Joy suggested, if you would like for us to take a further look into this please submit your Support Logs and provide a timestamp of when the Caseta Hub last lost power.