Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: One Bulb - Two Switches

One Bulb - Two Switches

Newbie here and just trying to learn my way through making my new home build smart. For the most part, I understand the basics of single switch/single bulb, what I’m trying to understand is when I have two switches controlling one bulb. I will be using the Caseta hub and all Caseta switches.

My question is this, in my laundry room, which I walk to and from the garage, I have a switch at both ends of the room. What is the optimum configuration for this? Is it two pdw-5ans or one switch and a pico? If it’s two 5ans, do you put both in the hub or just one? Or do I just not get it and I should just hire someone? lol

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello FPP777 and welcome to the forums!

We are happy to hear that you chose Caseta for your new build. What you have in the laundry room is a 3-way. For this configuration, you are welcome to keep one of your existing 3-way switches. Only the PD-6ANS Original Smart Switch is required. Please take a look at pages 41-43 at the following link: assets.lutron.com/a/documents/0301710_caseta_advanced_instructions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Hello FPP777 and welcome to the forums!

We are happy to hear that you chose Caseta for your new build. What you have in the laundry room is a 3-way. For this configuration, you are welcome to keep one of your existing 3-way switches. Only the PD-6ANS Original Smart Switch is required. Please take a look at pages 41-43 at the following link: assets.lutron.com/a/documents/0301710_caseta_advanced_instructions.pdf
    Thank you for the reply. I would rather not leave the mechanical switch. It would be the only one in the house. How do I use two Lutron switch’s?

Lutron Technical Support
    No problem, thanks for clarifying. The PD-6ANS/5ANS would then be used with a 2-button Pico remote in the other location. This would utilize our PICO-WBX-ADAPT which will allow you to mount the remote over the original wall box space. More information on this setup can be found on pages 15-18 at the previous link.

For a hardwired approach, we recommend the new Claro Smart Switch model DVRF-5NS. This will then wire to a DVRF-AS Accessory Switch. The Accessory Switch will match the look and feel of the Claro.