Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Using a Caseta Smart Switch in a 6-Way circuit?

Using a Caseta Smart Switch in a 6-Way circuit?

I have a home where I'm installing Caseta switches and I've gotten stuck in the central stairway, which goes up four stories and contains six separate switches, all on the same circuit. I would desperately like to put a smart switch into this somehow, but looking at the wriring of the switches and then the various Caseta smart switch options, doing something without re-wiring seems to be either impossible (hopefully not) or beyond my technical abilities (more likely). Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Thanks in advance for any advice, keeping in mind that I'm not a master electrician :)

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello cxxviii and welcome to the forums,

This configuration can be made possible through our Claro Smart and Accessory Switches. This circuit will need 1x DVRF-5NS Claro Smart Switch and 5x DVRF-AS Accessory Switches. Wiring diagrams for this configuration can be found on page 19 of our specification sheet here: Caséta Load Controls SPEC (369987) (lutron.com)

If dimming is desired, please substitute the Diva Smart Dimmer DVRF-6L in place of the Claro Smart Switch!

3. Thanks cxxviii thanked for this post
    Likes cxxviii liked this post
    Brandon, thx a bunch! I had not found that spec or product details. Huge help. One question, it looks like from the spec that in addition to the AS switch for all the other 3-way locations, I could use a Pico remote and the LUT-MLC (?). Or maybe I could just abandon some of the 3-ways? With the smart switch I won't need them all (just need 1 per level).

Also, does it matter where of the 6 locations I put the smart switch? From the diagram it can be load-side, line-side, or middle. Is one of these easiest or is there some other reason to prefer one of the options?
    Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    You may use Pico remotes instead of the Accessory Switches for the other locations, as well! The on/off-only Pico is model PJ2-2B (PJ2-3BRL for a dimming Pico), and it can be mounted to the wall like a switch with the Pico wallplate adapter bracket, model PICO-WBX-ADAPT.

The master Smart Switch can be installed in any location. See pages 18 & 19 of the following document for illustrations of these installs: https://webapiaw1proddat01st01.blob....369987_ENG.pdf