Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro Dimmer 3-way always on

Maestro Dimmer 3-way always on

I'm replacing an existing 3-way switch pair with an MACL-153 and MA-R dimmer switches. I wired everything up according to the instructions, but when I turn the power back on, I measure 120V at the light fixture all the time (currently nothing connected). Pressing either button does nothing. I thought it might need programming so I held the T and R buttons on the MACL for about 30 seconds and none of the indicator lights turned on.

I disconnected everything (except the green grounding screws), and measured voltages of all other wires relative to ground on both ends. As expected, the black wire which I had connected to the black screw on the MACL-153 was the only one with power. I reconnected just that wire to the black screw on the MACL-153 and I measure 120V on both of the other screws and this doesn't change when pressing the button.

Any idea of what could cause this behavior, apart from a defective unit?

Also, is there a document describing the expected behavior (voltages on different wires in different states) to use for general troubleshooting (presuming these work differently from regular 3-way switches).

Oh, after powering off and disconnecting everything I also ohm'd out the other two wires to verify that matching ends had been connected to the blue and brass connectors respectively.

Nevermind. Looking through the Troubleshooting FAQ again, we noticed that the switch needs a load to operate. After connecting the light fixture everything works fine.