Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upgrade from RA2/RA3 to HWQSX -- could we reuse existing hardware?

Upgrade from RA2/RA3 to HWQSX -- could we reuse existing hardware?

Does the HWQSX controller support RA2/3-specific devices, or must we replace with the appropriate HQ device?

For example, would RRST-PRO dimmers need to be swapped out for HQRD-PRO dimmers?

Mostly a curiosity at this point.

Thanks in advance!

мешки для строительного мусора купить

Самые дешевые мешки для строительного мусора где купить строительные мешки https://www.meshki-dlya-stroitelnogo-musora-e.ru/.
    мешок строительный https://meshki-dlya-stroitelnogo-musora-e.ru/.

Бахилы купить

Купить бахилы в аптеке стоимость бахил https://baxili-mos1.ru/.
    бахилы baxili-mos1.ru.

I have to admit, it doesn't feel very promising that the only two responses are spammers. :P

I get that I'm not supposed to care about cost to be considering HW, but it seems like a heck of a lot of churn for no good reason. (er, no good reason for the customer... ;)

You can’t add RadioRA 2/3 controls to Homeworks, except for a few universal things like Picos. So the dimmers, for example, would have to be swapped out. A hack would be to use both processors and use integration protocols to make the two systems seem to work together, but that seems pretty fragile.

And yes, that seems like a missed opportunity to promote upgrades, but I guess it’s less likely people would actually slowly upgrade to HW than it is that they would just buy cheaper controls and ask dealers to add a HW system on top. You also can’t downgrade - e.g. go to a RadioRA processors and take over installed Homeworks controls, which I suppose protects Homeworks dealers who can count on continuing callbacks to make changes to installed systems vs the Homeowner learning RadioRa.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    You can’t add RadioRA 2/3 controls to Homeworks, except for a few universal things like Picos. So the dimmers, for example, would have to be swapped out. A hack would be to use both processors and use integration protocols to make the two systems seem to work together, but that seems pretty fragile.

And yes, that seems like a missed opportunity to promote upgrades, but I guess it’s less likely people would actually slowly upgrade to HW than it is that they would just buy cheaper controls and ask dealers to add a HW system on top. You also can’t downgrade - e.g. go to a RadioRA processors and take over installed Homeworks controls, which I suppose protects Homeworks dealers who can count on continuing callbacks to make changes to installed systems vs the Homeowner learning RadioRa.
    Yeah, that all makes sense -- thanks for the reply. I understand the factors, I think.

I'm in a situation where I self-installed a lot of RA3 equipment, and running up against the limited programming options vs. what's available in HomeWorks. So, ideally what I really want is to just upgrade the brains, and I hoped it was possible. (even if we had to go via an installer, instead of DIY.)

I live in a large co-owned co-housing space. Most of the residents are quite technical (many having 20-30 year careers in hardware and software fields) and are quite averse to vendor lock-in without good reason.

Honestly, what we're looking at, instead, is transitioning to a KNX-based system, to enable complex programming without having to buy in whole-hog to the walled-garden. Don't get me wrong, I'm mostly on board for the walled garden, but this walled garden is a bit too out of our reach. Indeed, it's a walled garden we can never actually visit ourselves. Instead, we've got to go through approved channels to acquire cut flowers and potted plants from the garden.

The analogy may be a bit of a stretch, but I hope you get my drift. I think the reality is: HomeWorks doesn't make sense if the desired end-goal is to have 100% control over your own home's infrastructure. That inherent trade-off exists, and, sadly, I think we're not willing to pay the price. (both in dollars and loss of autonomy)

Quote Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
    I think the reality is: HomeWorks doesn't make sense if the desired end-goal is to have 100% control over your own home's infrastructure.
    This. Homeworks QS/X is really powerful, but it is best for those who want someone else to deal with the infrastructure of their luxury home. Which is most people, I guess.

Thanks, I really appreciate the response and confirmation that we're likely making the right choice.

I guess "co-owned co-housing space" is somewhat at odds with Lutron's target demographic/customer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I really appreciate the response and confirmation that we're likely making the right choice.

I guess "co-owned co-housing space" is somewhat at odds with Lutron's target demographic/customer. 😂