Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there something wrong with 23.8? Heard from 3 people who had trouble updating

And even in Sparkys case here- there should never be any reason on multiple systems that firmware is freezing during an update and not recovering. Whether its the flawed software version or firmware version. Bricking a clients lighting system should never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    And even in Sparkys case here- there should never be any reason on multiple systems that firmware is freezing during an update and not recovering. Whether its the flawed software version or firmware version. Bricking a clients lighting system should never happen.
    As long as you're intelligent on how you update, then there isn't a need to worry about that.

That's why I gave you and everyone who reads this thread the advice to stay one version behind. Even though my showroom is on alpha, I don't need my house or any of my clients to be on the latest and greatest, they can always be a version behind because that's safer.

But for the processors whether it's QSX or RA3 and they auto-update, Lutron DID test that to make sure it won't make us have to roll trucks. However if one of your techs just has 23.8 and updates 'just because' then that's where the issue comes into place.

Since Sunnata for RA3 and Ketra for QSX also have their own updates, along with LQSE's and the like, it's basically required to keep those updates on at this point.

I agree with you Johnny that Lutron should work with the alpha testers like myself on more...real life scenarios? Let's call it that, so we don't have issues like Sparky's experiencing. But that would require some pretty high profile QSX or RA3 clients who as we know are already demanding as it is, to submit themselves to the alpha torture. Which, you nor I want to deal with I'm sure.

So, general rule of thumb in the field is stay a version back, and when Lutron's confident enough to release it to the procs, like I said before heading to Activate > Procs > Uncheck show only unactivated. And you see that firmware change with auto-update on? Then it's safe to switch.

What you were suggesting earlier if I started a new QSX/RA3 job today, to stay on old firmware, when the proc is most likely going to ship with the latest firmware, is just a bad idea. Having to keep track of my 1000+ clients is already hard enough as it is with Lutron's OLD ecosystem.

Dude I dont know what your problem is. I was the one initially suggesting not to jump to latest software. If you read his post he was having issues getting it installed even. But instead you have to attempt to educate me on how firmware updates work. If Lutron's "confident enough" to release it to the processor and its available to do so in the software then it should work no matter what. You should not be having firmware issues. Even you say to stay a release back so that shows me you dont have confidence either in their ability to release stable software/firmware. There is no need for your snarky attitude and to call me "Johnny" I dont know where thats coming from it sounds like some childish thing. Be a professional like the rest of the non spam bot integrators here. I hope you dont talk to your "1000+" clients like this.

There's no issue at all, simply making sure the correct information gets out since Lutron seems to have left this to die. As I've taken a look at a lot of posts from the various different users who have more than 100+ posts it seems that they somewhat know what they're talking about, but with very limited experience. So simply shedding some light. Didn't mean to strike a nerve, just trying to make sure whoever you're taking care of doesn't run into the obvious issues that are there.

But because I have deep knowledge of this subject working with the actual teams at the company we're arguing about, I shared what I know from the horses mouth so that the people who actually need the help don't go with the first answer they see, which is 'bah, stay with this older firmware because it works'. Because that will 100% cause issues that don't need to be there in the first place.

Also, yes, I do inform my clients about these things constantly, because transparency in our business is key. If I tell them they should be on the latest and greatest but then they have issues, then it's on me. But if I tell them 'hey Lutron themselves said this' then it's no longer on me, and if they don't like it can move to some other platform that we offer.

When I joined on the forum, one of the posts I read from 2013 was the forum was here to voice our concerns as well as to help other people. So this isn't for you and me, this is for someone like Sparky reading this post and figuring out 'well geez, shouldn't do that yet because they don't have experience in the subject' rather than like the old QS/RA2 days where we could leave it on an older firmware and it would be fine, as they didn't update QS for years, and still haven't updated RA2.

Ok since you are the expert because you deal with the teams at Lutron way more than the rest of us apparently (I am not an expert on this part of it because the way my systems are done I never have that much of a need to get that involved with Lutron support- if you need tech support theres usually a problem with what youre doing or the tools), you do your way. With probably 50+ QSX/RA3 systems I have out there that are on old software versions I dont have any of these issues that you claim someone may encounter. So if you have proof of such a thing, then good for you. I have never seen any issues nor have I heard of any such issues from not updating. If the day comes where I have to update a system for a reason then I will do it. I dont get paid to go around and update client systems just because a new update is out, and a client is 1000% fine with "if it aint broke dont fix it". If thats how you roll then good for you but I dont work for free. Theres no further point to our discussion.

Again bud, this isn't a hit piece on you, stop taking it so personally.

Now you're coming to attack my work because I followed up with support to figure out the resolution to the problem and work with the teams as an alpha tester to make sure it doesn't continue? Maybe it was good that I said something. Clearly you'd rather attack someone's integrity you haven't even met for trying to help future people out with an issue that can easily rise again.

This is for the people that read this down the road who actually use the features Lutron supplies. Not the people that are stuck in the past with 'it ain't broke don't fix it'. One of the things that I appreciate about Lutron is that they have my back with high profile clients like the one I mentioned and move heaven and earth to resolve this. If you ever get to go to Coopersburg, you should read their 5 principles, I've made it part of a staple in my company to 'take care of the client' as that's what we're paid to do.

To be clear though, what you stated is quite funny, because I reached out to support who is paid to help us with a problem that I explained in great detail is EXACTLY what you're doing and I'm the one who doesn't know what I'm doing? When the other portion of this is that while I'm trying to educate whoever does come back to this post maybe within the next few months until 23.9 comes out and does this all over again, you took it personally, which means either A you have something like this and can't swallow the pride to admit that you just can't move out of your own way, or B, you feel threatened by some of the comments I mentioned because you don't understand it.

However, this is how Lutron's ecosystem is changing. The 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' method won't apply very much longer. Those '50+' customers are gonna have to have a truck roll out eventually and when you have to call support to figure out why it's happening I guarantee they'll ask why you're not on at least one version prior. While I'll be able to sit back and update my clients without having to roll a truck, even firmware! Which again is absolutely AMAZING that they've done that after we asked for it for so many years with QS and RA2.

Either way, it was friendly advice and you were the one to take it so personally. There's no reason to further this, I agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12