Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing one of 3 side by side switches with a Diva

Replacing one of 3 side by side switches with a Diva

I have 3 side by side switches all controlling different lights. I have removed one of the switches and installed a Luton Diva dimmer that works. However, the switch I took out (replaced) only had two wires both black and no ground or even a screw for a ground. I've capped the red & white wire with the blue connector as instructed. I've obviously connected the red and black wires correctly as the dimmer works. My question is, what should I have done with the green ground wire on the Diva? Because I have nowhere to connect the green wire I have just left it floating uncapped in the box. Is this OK or dangerous?

Please give your reply in English

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Donski. If the wallbox is metal, the box itself may be grounded which would, in-turn, ground all of the devices through the metal yokes on the devices securing to the box. I would recommend checking the back of the box to see if there is a ground bonded to the box. If the wallbox is plastic and there are no grounds, then you should be using non-metallic wallplate screws or Lutron screwless wallplates. It is not necessarily dangerous as long as the ground doesn't touch any conductor that is carrying current, but it is recommended to update the wiring to that with a ground connection for the highest safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Donski View Post
    I have 3 side by side switches all controlling different lights. I have removed one of the switches and installed a Luton Diva dimmer that works. However, the switch I took out (replaced) only had two wires both black and no ground or even a screw for a ground. I've capped the red & white wire with the blue connector as instructed. I've obviously connected the red and black wires correctly as the dimmer works. My question is, what should I have done with the green ground wire on the Diva? Because I have nowhere to connect bwso the green wire I have just left it floating uncapped in the box. Is this OK or dangerous?
    Leaving the green ground wire uncapped and floating in the electrical box is not safe. It should be properly connected to a ground point in the electrical box or to the grounding wire in your electrical system. Grounding wires are essential for safety and help prevent electrical shocks and fires. If you're unsure how to properly ground the wire, it's best to consult a qualified electrician for assistance.