Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceiling Fan with Light having problems with light and also humming noise.

Ceiling Fan with Light having problems with light and also humming noise.

I purchased a caseta dimmer switch for my ceiling fan which also has a light. When I installed it I had several problems. First when switched on the fan now hums when it is spinning. Someone told me this is because the switch is not the right amperage??? Two I can not just turn the light on by itself. I understand that the smart switch will turn on the fixture for both fan and light at the same time but when I use the chain switch to shut the fan off the light portion of the fixture goes very dim. This does not happen if I shut the light off with the chain switch the fan continues to work fine. Am I using the wrong switch? Is there a similar switch with higher amperage if this is the case. It will not bother me if the switch turns on both the light and the fan at the same time. And if I just want the light on I can easily just pull the switch to shut the fan off. It is just that with this switch I get the humming now and I can not just have the light on without the fan. Thank you

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello VicBena, welcome to the Forums. We do not recommend using a Caseta dimmer designed for light to control the ceiling fan and light together; any performance discrepancy being experienced is the cause of it not being suitable to control fan, and, in the case of just the light pull chain being active, likely LED incompatibility with the bulbs in the fan. The application sounds like it is wired for a simple on/off wall switch meant to provide power to the fan and light together; for separate control of the fan and light, a second switch leg wire would need to be ran from the fan to the wallbox where the dimmer/control would go. This is how all of our current fan and light combination devices will need to be wired; the only control we currently offer for controlling fan and light simultaneously are on/off-only switches. In the Caseta family, this would be models PD-6ANS/PD-5ANS or DVRF-5NS (neutral-required) or model PD-5WS-DV (non-neutral).

https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369987_eng.pdf

We hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello VicBena, welcome to the Forums. We do not recommend using a Caseta dimmer designed for light to control the ceiling fan and light together; any performance discrepancy being experienced is the cause of it not being suitable to control fan, and, in the case of just the light pull chain being active, likely LED incompatibility with the bulbs in the fan. The application sounds like it is wired for a simple on/off wall switch meant to provide power to the fan and light together; for separate control of the fan and light, a second switch leg wire would need to be ran from the fan to the wallbox where the dimmer/control would go. This is how all of our current fan and light combination devices will need to be wired; the only control we currently offer for controlling fan and light simultaneously are on/off-only switches. In the Caseta family, this would be models PD-6ANS/PD-5ANS or DVRF-5NS (neutral-required) or model PD-5WS-DV (non-neutral).

https://assets.lutron.com/a/documents/369987_eng.pdf

We hope this helps!

Yes thank you