Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can MSC-AD substitute for RD-RD?

Question Can MSC-AD substitute for RD-RD?

Wondering if there's really any difference between MSC-AD (Maestro Accessory Dimmer) and the RD-RD (Radio Ra 2 Accessory Dimmer)?
    Since these are just accessory dimmers... don't they just signal the main dimmer they're paired to on the blue wire to do an action?
    I can't imagine there's actually any RadioRa circuitry in the RD-RD... all that should just be in the main dimmer body.

Anyone tried it? I have some spare MSC-ADs and am tempted to try using them with an RD-6NA... but wanted to see what the community thought before i try it.

Thanks,
    -josh

Yes they work fine.

3. Thanks joshg thanked for this post
    Cool! I wonder why they exist with distinct model numbers if they're functionally the same... but i'm sure the answer will be "marketing reasons."

thanks for confirming my theory.

I'm not sure the exact rationale, but since Lutron doesn't have a universal product that works with everything ever, they have model specific items so it's perfectly clear they do go together.

I'm guessing RD-RS is also the same device as RD-RD and is interchangeable as well?

Actually, no, the RD-RS is a remote "switch" not a remote "dimmer". Therefore it won't have the dimmer control on the side to ramp up/down. I'm not sure it would work at all, even for turning on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by dinom View Post
    Actually, no, the RD-RS is a remote "switch" not a remote "dimmer". Therefore it won't have the dimmer control on the side to ramp up/down. I'm not sure it would work at all, even for turning on/off.
    It will work. Functionality stinks as you never have dimming at the remote location no matter what combination you use.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols