Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can't turn light back on using accessory switch until waiting 15 seconds.

Can't turn light back on using accessory switch until waiting 15 seconds.

I have a strange problem with the Claro Accessory switch DVRF-AS. It is paired to the smart switch (non-dimmer) Claro DVRF-5NS.
    This is my 9th Lutron smart switch and 3rd 3-way hard-wired (not Pico) installation over the past couple weeks, and all those I found fairly simple to install by using the instructions and they worked flawlessly, so I have gained some comfort level in installing these switches.
    But this time around, things are mostly good except: when turning the light off (by any means- app, Alexa, either switch), I cannot turn it back on with the Accessory switch until I wait exactly 15 seconds or more. I CAN turn it back on immediately using anything else other than the accessory switch.
    To confirm the timing, I tried 10 times turning off, waiting 14 seconds, then pressing the accessory switch on. It turned back on 0 of the 10 tries.
    Then I tried 10 times turning off, waiting 16 seconds, the pressing the accessory switch on. It turned back on 10 of the 10 tries.

This extremely predictable 15 second window makes it seem like a programming issue or deliberate behavior, and not an intermittent or wiring issue. However my other 2 Accessory switches don't show this behavior at all.

I am fairly confident the wiring is correct- is either my smart or the accessory switch bad or anything I can try? I tried reversing the travelers but that did not work.

For anyone stumbling upon this issue in the future, I was able to resolve it by trying a different light bulb (GE 93129431) and the issue completely went away. I put the original bulb (Great Value GVVLA6027ND) back in to verify and it was right back to the faulty behavior.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello chrisg welcome to the forums!

We appreciate the update on your findings. Since the DVRF-5NS is not a dimmer, LED incompatibility is very rare to find. We would be curious if swapping the location of the DVRF-5NS with the DVRF-AS while still utilizing those Great Value bulbs would solve this issue. However, if you are currently happy with this setup then please refrain from doing so.

Hi Brandon W, yes I was very surprised that swapping the bulb made a difference. I am not sure that reversing the switches is an option in my case. At the current accessory switch location I have only a switch loop wire, i.e. only a single 14/3 with Black, Red, and White behaving as hot to load. My understanding is that installing the DVRF-5NS would require at least 4 non-ground leads - hot, neutral, plus two travelers.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello chrisg,

You are correct, the DVRF-5NS would not be able to perform in that other location. Our apologies if this delay caused any inconvenience. However, I would be happy to forward your findings to our engineering team! We appreciate your feedback and hope that this new configuration is suiting your needs.