Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Why no timeclock mode buttons on "Homeowner" keypad?

Why no timeclock mode buttons on "Homeowner" keypad?

I'd like to be able to change timeclock modes without needing physical buttons on a real keypad. Is there any way to change modes via mobile app or RR2 Essentials softwares?

The use-case is a home where the owner VERY rarely needs to change modes. There's just "normal" and "Entertain" modes... the latter just stops all timeclock events that would normally turn off inside and outside lights in the evening. Sure we can put in a keypad, but we'd both rather not for such a rare use... would prefer to just have a virtual button or ability to set a mode.

Figured this was a perfect use for a Homeowner Keypad that can appear in the iOS Home+ app. But unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems Homeowner Keypads can only have scene buttons. Seems a very odd restriction.

Advice/thoughts?

Thanks!

There is already a place in the iPad app to do this under the schedules screen, bottom left corner. Homeowner can scroll through the different modes easily.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Ah... we have only tried the iphone app. So it's ONLY in the iPad version, not iphone?
    Are there other things (beyond layout) that are different between iphone and ipad versions?

Appreciate the responses, again, SDR. You're always incredibly helpful.
    one more thing... it still begs the question of why a homeowner keypad can't do other button types like toggles/"path of light" or mode changes. is there some reason they can only be scene buttons?

You can always just add a standard style keypad and not activate it. The Ipad can modify/add to the scenes/toggle and accomplish what you want. You wouldn't be able to modify the timeclock button, however.

Not sure why only scene buttons on the "homeowner" keypad- most likely because it would be difficult at best to describe scene vs. toggle vs. path of light to the user. Better to have one type only.

6. Likes schalliol liked this post
    What "homeowner keypad" are you referring to? Any virtual keypad can be changed through the software to have its buttons be scene, toggle, pathway, or a mode button. Even one you create yourself as SDR suggested you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What "homeowner keypad" are you referring to? Any virtual keypad can be changed through the software to have its buttons be scene, toggle, pathway, or a mode button. Even one you create yourself as SDR suggested you do.
    It's a built-in feature of the software.
    Thanks for trying to assist. yes, others have pointed out that i can make a fake keypad and have buttons that do other things. Nevertheless, Lutron made a feature for "homeowner keypad" to be created for this purpose, but they for some reason limited the buttons you put on that virtual keypad to be ONLY scenes... not mode changes or other functions that could be created on a "real" keypad. Doesn't make sense to me that they made the feature but limited the choices you can put on those buttons. Hence my post.

Quote Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    It's a built-in feature of the software.
    Thanks for trying to assist. yes, others have pointed out that i can make a fake keypad and have buttons that do other things. Nevertheless, Lutron made a feature for "homeowner keypad" to be created for this purpose, but they for some reason limited the buttons you put on that virtual keypad to be ONLY scenes... not mode changes or other functions that could be created on a "real" keypad. Doesn't make sense to me that they made the feature but limited the choices you can put on those buttons. Hence my post.
    I agree- I still don't understand the point of the homeowner keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I agree- I still don't understand the point of the homeowner keypad.
    Homeowner keypad is fairly obsolete now that you can add and subtract devices to a keypad button via the level editor for the app. These Homeowner Keypads were prior to that wonder change in the app, and allowed the homeowner to create their own scenes via the app. I would no longer use this keypad as a selling feature.