Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can a Caseta Smart Hub to be Configured as a Bridge or Repeater (with no ethernet)

Can a Caseta Smart Hub to be Configured as a Bridge or Repeater (with no ethernet)

Hello -

I have a small Caseta network in my home with one smart hub, two Diva Dimmers with remotes and one Claro Switch with remote. I just received a gift of starter kit which includes a holiday light starter switch a remote, and another Smart Hub. I don't actually want to create another separate Caseta network, but I am planning on using the Holiday Light Starter in an exterior outlet about 50 feet from our house (which is probably 90 feet from my existing smart hub). I don't want to buy a Smart Bridge.

1.) If I plug the light switch in to an outlet inside the house and program it with on and off times, can I then unplug, walk out to the yard, plug it into that remote exterior outlet, and then expect it to follow its programming (without a reliable Caseta network connection)?

2) If I set my second smart hub on the window sill of the room closest to that remote electrical outlet and provide power, is there a way to configure it as a repeater or bridge? Or do I also have to provide ethernet and create a separate lutron network?

2.1) If I end up with 2 separate Caseta Networks, can a single Pico Remote with 4 buttons control devices in both networks? Can automations in the Lutron App include devices on both networks or would I have to create separate automations?

2.2) Actually, I mainly use Smartthings for my automations (and I have 3 smartthings hubs that work together to create on large network). Will devices from both networks be accessible to Smartthings for automations, scenes and real-time control?

So I might have gotten the terminology wrong so when I say bridge, I think I mean repeater, but the gift I received does contain a second smart Hub (and the gift is in the mail so I cannot open it to check the instructions).

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello Ceemom welcome to the forums! Please see the answers to your questions below:

1. The programming will stay with the Caseta hub if the device is unplugged and relocated. However, the range from your Caseta hub (no more than 30 feet) is very far. We recommend utilizing a PD-REP. This will extend the range up to 60 FT. A plug-in lamp dimmer (PD-3PCL) can be used as a range extender as well. Please see below for how these interact with one another:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repeater and Bridge with PID.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1076

2. If the device you are referring to here is a hub (L-BDG2-WH or L-BDGPRO2-WH) then it cannot be repurposed as a repeater. This must be plugged in via ethernet to your router. If this hub is used, it will be viewed as a second "property" inside the Lutron app. However, it can be added to your existing account by tapping Settings > Account > Add Home.

Picos or sensors cannot talk between two Caseta hubs. This same rule applies when configuring Scenes and Schedules. For Smartthings, only one hub can be linked to the account.