Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Combine two light circuits with Claro switches

Combine two light circuits with Claro switches

Hello,

I want to start using smart switches and one of my use cases is a room with two lights which are each on their own circuit with independent switches. I would like to add smart switches that would then control both lights together. Can that be achieved with just using Claro switches or do I need to use something different?

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello, thanks for joining the Forums. In order to accomplish this a Pico remote will be required; two hard-wired smart switches cannot talk directly to each other to combine control of multiple different zones of lighting. However, one Pico remote can communicate simultaneously to as many hard-wired RF devices that are within its range for joint control, and the Pico can be mounted on the wall like a switch using the Pico wallplate adapter bracket model PICO-WBX-ADAPT. So, you'll still need two Claro Smart Switches, one for each light, but then they can be joined using a single Pico for simultaneous control. Hope this helps!

3. Thanks fredman thanked for this post
    I do something similar using an automation setup in the Apple Home app. In my primary bedroom, I have two bedside lamps. One is plugged into an outlet that's controlled by a Caseta Wireless wall switch and the other is plugged into a Wemo smart plug. The automation is set that when the Caseta wall switch is turned on, the lamp connected to the smart plug is also turned on. There is a couple second delay before the smart plug is turned on since it takes a bit for the status of the caseta switch to update in the home app. A second automation is required when you turn off the caseta wall switch to turn off the smart plug.

5. Thanks fredman thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy L. View Post
    Hello, thanks for joining the Forums. In order to accomplish this a Pico remote will be required; two hard-wired smart switches cannot talk directly to each other to combine control of multiple different zones of lighting. However, one Pico remote can communicate simultaneously to as many hard-wired RF devices that are within its range for joint control, and the Pico can be mounted on the wall like a switch using the Pico wallplate adapter bracket model PICO-WBX-ADAPT. So, you'll still need two Claro Smart Switches, one for each light, but then they can be joined using a single Pico for simultaneous control. Hope this helps!
    Would I only be able to control both lights via the Pico remote? Or would each Claro also control both lights? I was thinking of adding a Pico remote in a different location of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
    I do something similar using an automation setup in the Apple Home app. In my primary bedroom, I have two bedside lamps. One is plugged into an outlet that's controlled by a Caseta Wireless wall switch and the other is plugged into a Wemo smart plug. The automation is set that when the Caseta wall switch is turned on, the lamp connected to the smart plug is also turned on. There is a couple second delay before the smart plug is turned on since it takes a bit for the status of the caseta switch to update in the home app. A second automation is required when you turn off the caseta wall switch to turn off the smart plug.
    I am thinking of adding Home Assistant, so I should be able to do the same there, thank you.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi fredman, yes only the Pico will control both lights using this configuration; each Claro Smart Switch will only control the lights to which they are separately wired.

8. Thanks fredman thanked for this post