Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In Wall Switch - PD-5WS-DV

In Wall Switch - PD-5WS-DV

I had installed a PD-5WS-DV on/off only (no dimmer) switch to supply power to an outdoor receptacle into which is plugged my 300W low-voltage garden light transformer. Before doing this, I called Caseta tech support and told the rep the exact application; this is the switch he told me to use. I had a certified electrician install it. The transformer is a standard paradise 300w magnetic transformer.

I do not know more specifics of the installation than this - the elctrician said this switch would not work to turn the GFI outlet on and off; he had to replace it with a standard receptacle (it's the only one on the circuit and the only accessory plugged into that outlet). I believe he also had to use the load adapter.

The switch works correctly, shows proper LED's, and powers the outlet and transformer on and off perfectly. I notice, when it's off, however, that the status LED's ON THE TRANSFORMER flicker dimly. When turned on, the LED indicator on the transformer comes on appropriately. The garden lights work correctly, on and off, and don't flicker.

I tested the voltage coming out of the outlet. When on, 120V. When off, I get around 6V. I am not an electrician - is this to be expected with this installation? Is there any harm here with the transformer LED's flickering because of this 6V when off?

Thanks,
    Russ

Lutron Technical Support
    Did your electrician install the included LUT-MLC minimum load capacitor across the hot and neutral of the receptacle?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Did your electrician install the included LUT-MLC minimum load capacitor across the hot and neutral of the receptacle?
    Thanks for the reply Brian. I know he installed it in the box where the switch is, but I'm not sure across which wires. I will contact him tomorrow to find out exactly what he did and get back to you. Does the situation I described remind you of any particular mis-wiring scenario? And is that 6V voltage when off wrong?

Lutron Technical Support
    I doubt it is a miswire. That 6V may be some leakage voltage coming out of the switch when it is in the "off" state, and the transformer status LED is picking up on that voltage and flickering. You may be better off with the neutral based PD-6ANS switch instead.

Those switches were never designed to control a receptacle. They were meant to connect to a permanently installed light fixture on the ceiling or wall. If someone accidentally plugs in an electrical appliance/television/vacuum cleaner into that receptacle, something could possibly get damaged.

Electrician came out today. Load adapter is installed across the hot and neutral in the receptacle. It flickers with and without the adapter. He agrees that the other switch with the neutral may be better for this application. My problem is that I bought the switch on amazon and all of the packaging has since been discarded during the job, too late for a return. I'm upset that I called and spoke to the Lutron tech rep before I bought the switch, told him the application I was using it for, and he told me to buy this switch. They're not cheap.

Brian W. I appreciate your help. I'd appreciate some further guidance on this. First of all, is it necessary for me to figure this out and change things or is this flickering LED unimportant? If I should keep at it, are you reasonably convinced the PD-6ANS would solve the problem? Lastly, since I discussed this with a Lutron rep pre-purchase, would Lutron be willing to help me out with an exchange?
    thanks,
    Russ

Lutron Technical Support
    Have you tried calling the transformer manufacturer to see if there should be any concern if the power indicator LED on their transformer is flickering?

Please call our Tech Support hotline at 1-844-588-7661 and ask for me. We'll see what we can do.