Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advanced -> Fade On Rate ?

Advanced -> Fade On Rate ?

Hi, hoping someone can tell me the difference between the "Fade On Rate" in a dimmer's advanced settings, and the normal "Fade Rate" you set in the programming section? Or how these two settings interact with each other.

My best guess is that the normal Fade Rate determines the actual time a light takes to fade up or down, except when you set it to "0" seconds, which should be instant full-on or -off, but at that point, the advanced "fade-on rate" really determines how fast the "instant on" really does happen? Is that correct?

Thanks all,

--josh

Standard Fade On is 0.75 seconds to the level set. Using the advanced programming whether at the dimmer or through the software results in the same result. Fade Off is a separate setting in APM or through the software and is set at 2.0 seconds as a default. This is for an action at the dimmer alone. Fade rates for keypad button presses will override this feature.

People have used the 0% fade rates, but there is still a slight ramp up/down as the dimmer activates the required action. Some will try this to make a dimmer a switch, but from experience, it does not work and is highly recommended against by tech support.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks SDR. So are you saying the advanced fade-on-rate is completely useless... doesn't matter what you set it to?
    I'm still not clear on how this setting interacts with or takes precedent over the normal dimmer "fade-on-rate" you set during programming. Same for fade-off. Sorry for being slow here. Guess my own fade-on rate could use an adjustment. :)

LOL, no worries.

When you set the fade rate on the dimmers, whether through the APM or the software, it only applies when you touch that specific dimmer. When the dimmer is part of a scene or toggle on a keypad button, the keypad button has a fade rate that will supersede the APM/fade rate of the dimmer.

Hello - I have a similar question...

I have a new RadioRa 2 system integrated into my existing Grafik Eye, which controls all my exterior lights. Prior to RadioRa 2, I had the Grafik Eye fade all exterior lights 'on' one hour before sunset, and fade them all 'off' one hour before sunrise. Since integrating through the RadioRa 2 Essentials software, it appears that all of the programming is now diverted to Essentials, and not the Grafik Eye itself.....but I am unable to get the fade rates to function properly through the APM. Have I lost this feature by transferring programming to the Essentials Software?

No, go to the program tab and look at the timeclock. Select the event you want. You may have to right click in the lower right section that looks like a spread sheet showing all the dimmers. The right click should allow you to show the fade rate. Adjust your fade rate accordingly. You can also do his easily from the Ipad, just go to the event and edit. You should see fade rate as an editable feature.

Got it. Thank You.

Is the 'fade rate' more or less the fade 'to' (whether up or down) the next level depicted in the event? How does the 'delay' differ?

I've never programmed a "fade to". Fade rate just adjusts how fast the dimmer will change. Delay is a time frame that the dimmer will wait before executing it's fade.