Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRD-6NA - freezing

RRD-6NA - freezing

I've got an RRD-6NA that is ganged with three others and the others are fine. But on this load, when power is restored, it's fine for a while, can be programmed from essentials, and behaves normally. But after an hour or two, that zone becomes unresponsive. If you go up to the dimmer and press it's button, the bottom three LEDs on the dimmer light up for as long as you're pressing the button. Let go, they go out; press it again, they come on... until you let go. In this state, the device can't be seen by Essentials, doesn't respond... and you can't even do the factory-restore triple-tap thing. You just get the three lights every time the button is pressed, the load is on at 100% but can't be turned off. If I cut the power, wait a few minute, and restore power, same cycle starts again: device fine, then freezes after an hour or two with the "three little LEDs" symptom. I tried a factory reset while it was in this operational state, but same thing started happening.

Obvious thought is that it's a faulty 6NA. Ready for the weird part? I figured that must be the case, replaced it with another 6NA and same thing started happening within an hour.

Is it something with the load? it's a good quality transformer for pendant (incandescent) lights.

Anyone seen that three-lights thing?

Thanks for any help...

The "Three LEDs of Death"...

That signifies an internal problem with the dimmer- over-watt, over-volt, etc. It's done, and can't be fixed- I've tried. What load do you have on the dimmer? This almost always happens with magnetic drivers (SEBCO will always do this to a 6NA). Chances are the RRD-10ND-xx would fix the problem, but we need to know the fixture.

(Crosses fingers and hopes he doesn't say WAC)
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks SDR.

Oddly, i hard rebooted the 6NA again and this time it's holding up longer than it has in days... overnight and all still OK, but i suspect it will re-emerge.

The load is a Magnitude Outdoor transformer, 300W. Model M300SOD. It's driving 4 pendant canopies... though (maybe this is the problem?) only ONE is installed right now. waiting for other 3 fixtures. Fixture is a halogen 35W light. So ultimately 4 of them, but right now only 1. is it too low of a load for the transformer and could that somehow be affecting this issue on the 6NA?

really appreciate your help!

It's not the load. 6NA has a minimum load of 5W, so you are good there. It has to do with the phase adaptive tech in the dimmer. Some Mag LV transformers give 6NAs fits. I would start by verifying that your transformer is dimmable (should be, looks like it is via Google). The 6NA will "fuzz out" on you again, replace it with a RRD10ND and you should be golden.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

super helpful SDR... thank you. will get a 10ND and keep it on hand for if (when) it starts happening again. Really appreciate your help on this. Love this forum because of people like you.

--josh

I have had the same problem on several occasions. I am controlling a PHPM with a 6NA and several times I got the "three LED's of death". Chatted with Lutron Tech Support and was told that the 10ND is preferred for this situation, BUT... You can go into the advanced settings on the 6NA you are having problems with and "force" it to be forward phase only and not adaptive.

Thanks. Funny, I just went to force that 6NA to phase forward, but it turns out it (and all of my 6NA's) are already set to "forward" rather than to auto-detect. Is that because they came this way, or because the switch has detected the load and made the change itself? I know I've never changed them to "forward".

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The RRD-6NA come set to Auto-Detect, they would need to be changed to Forward Phase.

I have a 6na having the same issue running 4 cv10/75-12 halogen fixtures. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHelco View Post
    I have a 6na having the same issue running 4 cv10/75-12 halogen fixtures. Any thoughts?
    In my experience, the solution is to lock the dimmer to the correct phase instead of leaving it in auto-detect mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast