Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring question when changing a RA 2 dimmer to a single pole Claro

Wiring question when changing a RA 2 dimmer to a single pole Claro

Hi, Hoping I can get some help for this wiring issue. I’m trying to remove a RA 2 dimmer switch (RRD-8ANS) from my Lutron system and replace it with a single pole Lutron Claro switch (CA-1PS). The dimmer has three terminals on one side (Black, Silver, Brass), a ground and a blue terminal which is unused. My confusion is what to do with the three wires + ground that attach to the dimmer switch as my single pole Claro only has two gold terminals + the ground. On the dimmer, there is a black wire attached to the black terminal and another black wire attached to the brass terminal. There is a white wire attached to the silver terminal which is between the black and brass terminals. What wires should go where on my Claro? Should I cap the white wire? Thanks for any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1654.jpeg   IMG_1655.jpeg   IMG_1656.jpeg  

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi MC757,
    With that particular wiring set up you will actually be dropping the white one from the mix as the CA-1PS doesn't need a neutral connection. As far as which black wire goes where it wont matter on the 1PS because there is no polarity to that switch. As long as each screw has a singular black wire then you will be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy R. View Post
    Hi MC757,
    With that particular wiring set up you will actually be dropping the white one from the mix as the CA-1PS doesn't need a neutral connection. As far as which black wire goes where it wont matter on the 1PS because there is no polarity to that switch. As long as each screw has a singular black wire then you will be golden.
    Just completed it. Thanks for helping out!