Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Smart Away Mode Inquiry

Smart Away Mode Inquiry

RE: Lutron Casetta Smart Switches (Original/Claro/Diva)

I am interested in better understanding the "Smart Away" feature. I understand I can set the start and end time and then the lights will turn on & off at random within that time frame. If using it manually to activate this mode, is it one time set and forget (until I turn it off) or do I need to manually turn it on daily? The use case I have is related to my vehicle that was recently stolen at night in front of my house. I installed some lighting I have in vicinity of my exterior windows that I would like to turn on/off randomly each night to simulate that I am up and about within the house at random. But I would like to turn the switch on once, and have this mode work basically every day on its own between say 8pm-4am every single day, without having to activate it daily. Is the lutron product able to do this, or does it need to be manipulated daily.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonthas View Post
    RE: Lutron Casetta Smart Switches (Original/Claro/Diva)

I am interested in better understanding the "Smart Away" feature. I understand I can set the start and end time and then the lights will turn on & off at random within that time frame. If using it manually to activate this mode, is it one time set and forget (until I turn it off) or do I need to manually turn it on daily? The use case I have is related to my vehicle that was recently stolen at night in front of my house. I installed some lighting I have in vicinity of my exterior windows that I would like to turn on/off randomly each night to simulate that I am up and about within the house at random. But I would like to turn the switch on once, and have this mode work basically every day on its own between say 8pm-4am every single day, without having to activate it daily. Is the lutron product able to do this, or does it need to be manipulated daily.
    Hello avalonthas,

Smart Away can be activated manually every night or automatically when leaving home. The user can set their homes location and arriving/leaving home activates automatically upon them entering or leaving the radius. Unfortunately, Smart Away cannot be activated automatically while at home. However, you can always create a few schedules that would turn your lights on/off throughout the night, the only difference being these won't be randomized.

Thanks Brandon

I am thinking I could trick the system potentially if the Home Status is based on Geofence and not device recognition by say the Hub. In that I can set Home to be anywhere but my actual house so the Away Mode would trigger when I am at home sleeping; or on vacation as I would always look "away" to the system. Considering I wouldnt use any other automations that rely on my Hone/Away status

Lutron Technical Support
    This can be a great way around it. The homes location can be set in a place outside of where you live (not based on the location of the Hub). Once the location of your phone leaves that radius, it will then automatically activate Smart Away!