Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for increasing Caseta Samrt Hub Device Limit

Lightbulb Options for increasing Caseta Samrt Hub Device Limit

Hello everyone,

Newbie question here I'm sure has already been asked numerous times .............

I set up and have been using the Lutron Caseta system with smart hub in my 1280 square foot home for a number of years now, having replaced the previous unreliable X10 gear. The Caseta system in general has exceeded my expectations in terms of cost and performance, however, I'm now at my max limit of 75 devcies. It's amazing how quickly one can use up all the allotted space on the Smart Hub with Light and Fan controls, Outdoor plug and lamp modules, occupancy sensors and Pico remotes! I'm in need of half a dozen or more device addresses, and looking for the most convenient and cost effective method of achieving it.

A second hub won't do the job as it would be a totally stand alone system and there is no cross connection in regards to schedules, scenes, Pico remotes etc. I considered an RA2, but some of my currently installed Caseta controls (like fan speed for example) appear to be incompatible, not to mention the additional hardware expense of the repeater and the PITA of reprogramming everything. It's also my understanding that the R2A would have to be professionally programed.

Then I discovered the 4 button Pico Scene Remotes, and thought perhaps a few of these would just do the trick. If I'm not mistaken, One 4 button remote like the PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 "Any Room" could be used to control multiple devices (at the very least least an on / off for two separate dimmers or outdoor plugs for example) but would only count as one device on the hub. This would free up addresses for additional smart plugs and dimmer controls if I understand correctly. I could delete a few existing regular Pico remotes and replace them with 4 button Pico Scene remotes. Not to mention the added bonus of creating /activating scenes as secondary consideration with the All Room Pico Remotes.

Question is, have I got the right idea? Or is there a simpler cost effective path to glory? I'm not interested in anything that requires a cloud account. Outside of the limited device count, I'm completely satisfied with the Caseta System.

Thanks for looking and appreciate your learned advice.

Cheers!

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

The Lutron Caséta system is not compatible with RA2 Select / Radio RA2 / Radio RA3. Changing to any one of those systems would require all new hardware.

Based on your description, the 2 group on/off Pico Scene Remote (model # PJ2-4B-GWH-L21) may be a good option for you. Or any of the P01/P02/P03 Pico Scene Remotes. It's worth noting that the 4 button L41 Pico is not compatible with Caséta as this system does not support same button toggling.

Another option, depending upon how many 3-way and 4-way applications you have on site, is to use the new Diva Smart Dimmer (DVRF-6L) or Claro Smart Switch (DVRF-5NS, neutral required) with the Claro Accessory Switch (DVRF-AS) for 3-way and multilocation circuits. Although the load controller (DVRF-6L/5NS) will count as a device, none of the Accessory Switches (DVRF-AS) add into the Lutron app or count against the system's 75 device limit.

3. Thanks Avianmanor thanked for this post
    Thanks a million Jonathan for your prompt response and valuable information. It's unfortunate there isn't greater hardware compatibility across the various platforms, but reassuring to know I'm on the right path for adding just a few more devices to my already maxed out Caséta system. Fortunately I only have one application for a 3-way swich, with a dimmer switch on one side of the room and a Pico remote installed in the box on the other side -awesome solution.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Cheers!

A footnote to this earlier thread regarding Pico Scene Remotes ......... if one or more Scene Remotes (identified within the app / Icon as "Keypad") are designated to the same room, they do not appear as separate icons on the app, both will be blended into the single icon (edit on this " Keypad" icon will reveal all Pico remotes in that room as individual remotes), Furthermore, editing /programing changes on any one remote, will automatically duplicate on the other(s). Simplest solution I've come up with so far to get around this, was to create a non existing "Living Room 2" within the app, and move the second Pico Scene Remote to that imaginary room, so that it could then be programmed independently from the first Pico Scene Remote in "Living Room" - then, any changes made to device programming on that remote, will not be automatically duplicated on the other. In this way I can still identify both Pico Scene Remotes as being located in my Living Room, but program them to perform completely different functions.

Normally, when adding regular Pico Remotes in the same room, they appear in the app as individual remotes one can name differently. Not so with the Pico Scene Remotes, all those added to the same room will be grouped and programmed together under on Icon named "Keypad". The name "Keypad" cannot be renamed.

If there is another way around this glitch, so that Scene Remotes can appear, be renamed and programmed independent of each other in the same room, I'd appreciate knowing.

Cheers!

Lutron Technical Support
    The way these Picos Scene Keypads are performing is intentional and not a bug. The logic behind it is that if the Pico keypads are in the same room one would assume they share programming (maybe a Pico at each entry to the room). As you stated, moving the keypad to another room will allow for them to be independent.

I've maxed the devices in my Caseta system and per Lutron a solution is to get two bridges and set it up as upstairs and downstairs houses. But it's hardly ideal when working with HomeKit and Siri. I wish Lutron would solve the problem in software so that a house can have more than one bridge instead of pushing the RA system.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello howardlo and welcome to the forums!

The Lutron app can support multiple Caseta Hubs under one Lutron account (Settings > Account > Add Home). However, these Hubs will be viewed as different "properties", and we can understand that swapping between them using the multihome icon isn't the best user experience. We will be happy to forward this feedback to the proper team.

Lightbulb Pico Any Room Remote Solution

Quote Originally Posted by howardlo View Post
    I've maxed the devices in my Caseta system and per Lutron a solution is to get two bridges and set it up as upstairs and downstairs houses. But it's hardly ideal when working with HomeKit and Siri. I wish Lutron would solve the problem in software so that a house can have more than one bridge instead of pushing the RA system.
    Hey howardlo, I agree, it would be nice if multiple bridges could be combined as one as a method of expanding the Caseta system. Another option would be to have Caseta compatible with other products, rather than having to completely scrap and replace an existing installed Caseta system to permit additional devices on a maxed out Bridge.

I purchased a second Bridge myself, but it was more trouble than it was worth in regards to expansion. Best solution I've found so far is deleting standard two-button Pico remotes and replacing with four-button All Room Remotes ( PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 ). These can be set up to activate scenes and in my case, one All Room Remote can replace up to 4 two-button remotes, opening up the possibility of adding 3 new devices on a maxed out system. I basically use 3 of the buttons on the 4 -Button All Room Pico Remote to turn on devices (lights for example) and the fourth button as an "all off". Not quite as convenient to use as the regular two-button remote, but works in a pinch. Plus the fact the All Room Remotes can control scenes, is a big plus in terms of versatility. The main downside of course, is the additional expense, as the All Room Remotes ( PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 ) don't come cheap, and you end up with a pile of unused two-button remotes (good supply of replacement batteries though!) Hope this helps howardlo

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Hello howardlo and welcome to the forums!

The Lutron app can support multiple Caseta Hubs under one Lutron account (Settings > Account > Add Home). However, these Hubs will be viewed as different "properties", and we can understand that swapping between them using the multihome icon isn't the best user experience. We will be happy to forward this feedback to the proper team.
    Thank you Brandon.

For more context for you to forward to the team.

I started small with a few devices and gradually built it into the current system with two bridges after remodelling. It's easy to do the math on how much I've already invested and replacing the switch with RA switches and redoing all the reprogramming is not likely to happen. I have a feeling that there are quite a few users that are in a similar situation.

For example, just in my kitchen, pantry and eat-in, I have eighteen (18) Caseta switches, ten (10) picos and a couple of occupany sensors. I have a few scenes that are tied to a HomeKit command (i.e. siri set hangout scene) to set all those lights at the right level and it's so convenient. I love that I can fine tune the lighting in this way. Currently my downstairs bridge is already maxed and I have to play around with reducing picos and sometime ganging lights that I would rather dim seperately.

In one use case, my living room has table fixtures and fixtures in the balcony. But because of the limits, the balcony is in the upstairs bridge, thus I can't have a single scene that controls the living room illumination. I have to do a bit of back and forth with Siri to control the balcony.

If a single home can have more than one bridge, I think it would be pretty awesome for many users.

If your product manager is interested in understanding more, feel free to have them contact me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmanor View Post
    Hey howardlo, I agree, it would be nice if multiple bridges could be combined as one as a method of expanding the Caseta system. Another option would be to have Caseta compatible with other products, rather than having to completely scrap and replace an existing installed Caseta system to permit additional devices on a maxed out Bridge.

I purchased a second Bridge myself, but it was more trouble than it was worth in regards to expansion. Best solution I've found so far is deleting standard two-button Pico remotes and replacing with four-button All Room Remotes ( PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 ). These can be set up to activate scenes and in my case, one All Room Remote can replace up to 4 two-button remotes, opening up the possibility of adding 3 new devices on a maxed out system. I basically use 3 of the buttons on the 4 -Button All Room Pico Remote to turn on devices (lights for example) and the fourth button as an "all off". Not quite as convenient to use as the regular two-button remote, but works in a pinch. Plus the fact the All Room Remotes can control scenes, is a big plus in terms of versatility. The main downside of course, is the additional expense, as the All Room Remotes ( PJ2-4B-GWH-P03 ) don't come cheap, and you end up with a pile of unused two-button remotes (good supply of replacement batteries though!) Hope this helps howardlo
    Hi Avianmanor,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Another thing that I'm playing around with is adding a different system to HomeKit. Currently I add a Philip Hue hub and lights and from HomeKit I can set a scene that controls both the Caseta switches and Hue lights.

I'm about to remodel my backyard and using Hue (perhaps other systems too) may just be the way to go.

Thanks,
    Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast