Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Incandescent and LED bulbs flashing

Incandescent and LED bulbs flashing

I have installed a Caseta dimmer (PD-6WCL) with an antique 8 light chandelier. When I turn on the fixture, with either incandescent or LED bulbs, they flash. I have tried adjusting the high and low trim and nothing seems to help. Help is appreciated.

From a wiring standpoint, I have a hot and neutral coming in, the wires from the fixture and then wires that go to the rest of the circuit for the room. The black coming in, the black going to the rest of the circuit and the black from the Caseta dimmer are connected. The black from the fixture is connected to the other black on the Caseta dimmer. All of the white wires are connected. I have ground wires in the box but I haven’t connected the ground on the Caseta dimmer to the other grounds because they are a pain to get to. I intend to connect them.

Lutron Technical Support
    Do you have another circuit that you can test the PD-6WCL on? Just to rule out anything going on with the fixture itself. Based on your description it does not sound like a wiring issue. Also do you have any information (make/model) on the chandelier and bulbs you have used so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Do you have another circuit that you can test the PD-6WCL on? Just to rule out anything going on with the fixture itself. Based on your description it does not sound like a wiring issue. Also do you have any information (make/model) on the chandelier and bulbs you have used so far?
    I haven’t put the dimmer in another circuit but I have replaced the dimmer with simple switch. The lights still blink. The wire going from the fixture to the junction box is a new wire that I installed. It wasn’t difficult to install and I have no reason to think it was damaged in the process.

The light fixture is an antique fixture, probably 70 to 90 years old. I have no idea who the manufacturer I was. The bulbs are incandescent, I don’t know the manufacturer.

Lutron Technical Support
    Since the issue replicates after replacing the dimmer with a mechanical on/off switch, it's safe to say the issue is either with the fixture itself or the wiring to the fixture. You could take a voltage reading of the switched hot coming in to the fixture and a reading at the sockets of the fixture to narrow down where the issue lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    Since the issue replicates after replacing the dimmer with a mechanical on/off switch, it's safe to say the issue is either with the fixture itself or the wiring to the fixture. You could take a voltage reading of the switched hot coming in to the fixture and a reading at the sockets of the fixture to narrow down where the issue lies.
    I am really stumped on this one. I did a little more testing over the weekend. I wired a light socket to the junction box and it still flickered/flashed. This was hooked in with the wires that continue on to the bedroom and the lights in the bedroom are fine.