Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: need advice about Lutron RA2 system

need advice about Lutron RA2 system

I have bought a new home and it had about 20 Lutron RA-6D wireless dimmers, one repeater and two sets of large button controls. Unfortunately I can't get any information from the previous owner so I have to guess how it was set up and used. I found some information on the web and I understand the basic thing I can do is to program the multi-button control to turn on/off the other remote dimmers. What else can I get from it? Ideally I wanted to have some lights turning on and off (dusk till dawn). What modules would I need for this? RS-232 one? Or it is simpler just to add a programmable timer that would do it?
    Can it be controlled from the phone?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks
    Art

Hi gsnake!

The classic RA can´t be controlled from the phone, you have to upgrade to RA2 if you want that.
    The time clocks events or astronomical events in RA can be configured with the Chronos RA-SBT-CHR but i dont know if this product is available because is an old system.

Here is the link of RA-SBT-CHR http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/044037b.pdf

thank you very much, evillalobos!
    I did not realize I had older RA (not RA2) system.. Well, I guess I can keep it as is and get some RA2 dimmers with the RA2 bridge or install timers (like Honeywell programmable timer) only for the lights that I want to turn ON at sunset..
    But with RA2 is it doable what I need? I was wondering why Lutron does not have the programmable timers (like Leviton or Honeywell)..

Quote Originally Posted by evillalobos View Post
    Hi gsnake!

The classic RA can´t be controlled from the phone, you have to upgrade to RA2 if you want that.
    The time clocks events or astronomical events in RA can be configured with the Chronos RA-SBT-CHR but i dont know if this product is available because is an old system.

Here is the link of RA-SBT-CHR http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/044037b.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
    thank you very much, evillalobos!
    I did not realize I had older RA (not RA2) system.. Well, I guess I can keep it as is and get some RA2 dimmers with the RA2 bridge or install timers (like Honeywell programmable timer) only for the lights that I want to turn ON at sunset..
    But with RA2 is it doable what I need? I was wondering why Lutron does not have the programmable timers (like Leviton or Honeywell)..
    Ra2 can do what you are asking as far as the time clocks. If you are looking at a countdown timer, that would be a non-system product like the MA-T51-xx.

You might try Lutron's "where to buy" and find a reputable installer. In past years, Lutron has had an "upgrade" program if you are looking to gain the smart phone and time clock functions. The Chronos mentioned earlier has been obsolete for years. The only way to get one would be Ebay. Then you would have to find someone to program it. Most programmers shudder at the thought of trying to program a Chronos for integration.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

yeah, I am reading the manual for Chronos bridge and it is something.. I have installed few countdown timers like you mentioned and they are great. Too bad my dimmers are old.. I found one Chronos bridge on ebay for 200$ - not sure if this worth spending that much on older used system.. upgrade is a good option but would cost way more I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Ra2 can do what you are asking as far as the time clocks. If you are looking at a countdown timer, that would be a non-system product like the MA-T51-xx.

You might try Lutron's "where to buy" and find a reputable installer. In past years, Lutron has had an "upgrade" program if you are looking to gain the smart phone and time clock functions. The Chronos mentioned earlier has been obsolete for years. The only way to get one would be Ebay. Then you would have to find someone to program it. Most programmers shudder at the thought of trying to program a Chronos for integration.