Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help configuring system with smart hub, 2 wall dimmers, 2 Picos.

Help configuring system with smart hub, 2 wall dimmers, 2 Picos.

New installation. Got the 5 pack- 2 dimmers, 2 Picos, Smart bridge.

On my new porch, I have 4 lights - 2 are controlled by one circuit/switch and 2 by another. My electrician installed a Caseta dimmer switch on each of those circuits so each of those switches controls it's two lights. He then programmed both Picos to control both sets of lights together, that is, each Pico will turn all 4 lights on and off (no smart bridge installed yet).

First question: how specifically did he do that; program both Picos to activate/deactivate both switches. (Please give specific steps). I want to be able to get it back like this in case my smart bridge plan doesn't work.

The way it works now is how I want it to work, with both Picos controlling all four lights. I now want to add the Smart Bridge to allow control from my phone and all the bells and whistles. But I want the switches and Picos to function as they do now.

Second question: so, how do I do that? I set the Smart Bridge up, all is good there. When I go to add a switch, I get the warning it will be unpaired from the Pico and I didn't want to go past this step without all the further information. Please give me specific instructions on which devices to add in what order and how to get them linked so I get the same functionality I had (both Picos controlling both switches). I'd appreciate specific steps.

Thanks,
    Russ

1) Just think about PICO and the dimmer switch are independent unit. You will need to install at least 1 dimmer per circuit to do the physical(or power) control. After that PICO remote can pair with any Caseta dimmer/shade, you can pair each PICO to multiple dimmer to control them together. Can you also pair another PICO to the same dimmer as well. Like 1 PICO to control dimmer A, 1 PICO to control dimmer B, 1 PICO to control dimmer A+B.

2) Once you have the bridge, you have to almost forget how to do the pairing before. You need to add all your dimmers to the APP first. After that, add each PICO to the APP. When you are adding the PICO, the APP will ask you which device(s) the remote will control. This is way easier to do that without the bridge.

Thank you David. Could you tell me the physical procedure to do #1 without the smart bridge? I understand how to pair a single Pico with a single dimmer (something to do with press down on the dimmer till LED blinking, then same on Pico), but how do you do a Pico to TWO dimmers?

Lutron Technical Support
    Basically do the same thing twice, but use the same Pico (Method 1 below), or associate both dimmers at once (Method 2 below).

Method 1: Hold the tapswitch on dimmer #1 until all of the lights on it start flashing (about 6 seconds), then hold the Off/bottom button on the Pico until the load flashes (about another 6 seconds). Then Hold the tapswitch on dimmer #2 until all of the lights on it start flashing (about 6 seconds), then hold the Off/bottom button on the same Pico used on dimmer #1 until that load flashes (about another 6 seconds).

Method 2: Hold the tapswitch on dimmer #1 until all of the lights on it start flashing (about 6 seconds), then hold tapswitch on dimmer #2 until all of the lights on it start flashing (about 6 seconds), then hold the Off/bottom button on the Pico until both loads flash (about another 6 seconds).

5. Thanks Russmd thanked for this post
    Thanks Brian. Got it.

Brain is right. It's the same. When PICO pair to a switch, it won't forget what was paired before. You just need to repeat again and again. That's why I prefer to use the APP with bridge.

Thanks all. Worked like a charm. Appreciate the help.